SOLO of the Month #5 - Chat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Cracking backing track, must try to find time to record something for this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Entry sent. I've never entered one of these before. In fact, I haven't really listened to previous months so I don't really know how much time and effort people really spend on polishing their recordings. I had a listen through the track a few times and then just went for it so it's just jamming, mistakes and all.

I have to say that the Cmaj7 sections were slightly unexpected and as I didn't compose anything that section isn't particularly inspiring. As you can play notes from the Emin7 arpeggio over that chord that's mostly what's in those sections.

I like the vibe of the track though and I'm really interested to hear what other people are playing.
    Entry emailed. This was tough. I don't like playing solos at the best of times, so this was a real challenge for me.

Recording wise my setup was ultra basic: Tascam GT-R1 in overdub mode, just recording the solo as an overdub directly on top of the backing and using one of the built in jazz presets. Tone wise it's not great, should have booted up Logic really!

As for the solo, I'd been humming a melody in my head yesterday so I tried to capture that on the guitar. The key change was difficult to fit into the flow.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Definitely a change of pace with this one.  There were a couple of places where I actually had to think about what notes I was going to hit.  I'm not saying they were good notes but I did think about them.

My entry should be on it's way in now.  It's a bit of a rushed job I'm afraid but I wanted to submit something just so I don't fall out of the habit of entering these.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Just listened to the entries upload so far.  I'm surprised I'm the only one to go with a clean tone so far.

I've got say that with all the fretting over the key change that everyone has handled it well.  I'm a bit worried that my attempts to navigate it sound decidedly ham-fisted in comparison.
    I originally was going to have a clean tone but the sound was lost in the backing. Then again, I used a very low-tech recording method.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    RedRabbit said:
    Just listened to the entries upload so far.  I'm surprised I'm the only one to go with a clean tone so far.

I've got say that with all the fretting over the key change that everyone has handled it well.  I'm a bit worried that my attempts to navigate it sound decidedly ham-fisted in comparison.
    I was clean until the last second before I recorded, it sounded a bit meh though so I used my muff for sustain and general creaminess. 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Mine was originally going to be really fuzzy, Ernie Isley-style, but in the end I just used my Egnater DI'd with a bit of reverb. It's not actually that dirty, I'm on the clean channel but whacked up really loud so the power amp is compressing.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Just sent in my first attempt at a SotM solo.  I'm hoping to use SotM to give my playing a bit of a kick up the backside so warts and all feedback welcome.

Like mellowsun, I had some melodies floating round my head after hearing the track.  It then took me ages to actually be able to play what I'd written as the technique needs a load of work. 

Great tunes from everyone so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Emailed -  The first for a while from me. Very quick run through this time so there are loads of mistakes. I couldn't get the same vibe again so I've left them in. 

Great stuff as usual from everyone. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Emailed in. Took a while to get my head around this one - I kept just hearing Marvin Gaye in my head.

At the risk of letting light in upon, er, "magic", I didn't record this in one take. I constructed it in sections because I couldn't remember the whole thing all the way through. Each bit is a single track though, I didn't do any multi-tracking (this time).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Durn it! forgot about this one, I was gonna have a go.

Probably not time tonight.
  • entry closes today
    Old Is Gold
  • entry closed
    Old Is Gold