Changing tuners

Bought some new tuners recently to replace the rubbish stock ones on my Harley Benton baritone. I think @entee did this recently so maybe you have some tips? 

Is there any special magic to replacing tuners? I've never done it before. Looking at it, it seems all I need to do is remove the string, unscrew the two screws that hold the tuner onto the back of the headstock, and then I should be able to take it off and put the new one on? I'm planning on leaving the bushes in place because I think they will be a better fit anyway. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27306
    Yup, if it's a like-for-like set that's all there is too it. It's only complicated if you need to ream the old holes to fit wider bushings
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    I suggest you caliper the string spindles to make sure they are the same diameter as the originals and will fit the bushings - if so you should be able to swap them straight out. As stickyfiddle says if you need to change the bushings it get more complicated 
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    yep @UnclePsychosis that is all that I did - I found that the new bushes were a different size, albeit slight, so kept the originals.  Not had any problems since.  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12966
    Thanks guys.

I bought a new bridge and some paint to shield the cavity (my neighbours wifi drives my guitars mental) so once those bits arrive I'll get cracking...