Making videos, the basics?

I'm looking to start up my own Youtube channel so I'm looking for a little advise on starting out.

First off, How do you sync the audio and visual? 

I've just tried recording a video with my phone and then tried syncing that with the audio recording on my computer however, I can't get them to sync. I've been using Windows Live Movie Maker as it was free.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10430

In movie maker import the video to the timeline and then also import the audio you recorded below it onto the audio track. Then click and drag the audio file at the left hand side until it matchs the audio coming from the video. Then turn the videos audio all the way done so you only hear the decent audio. 

To make the good audio start sooner drag to the right to trim it, for later drag to the left to extent it. Get it within a second in sync and then use the zoom to zoom in and get the fine adjustment bang on. 

A sharp clap at the beginning when you start recording can give you a perfect sync point. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Like audio DAW softwares there are so many video program software vendors vying for your €€s that you can run a year at least on free trials!

Start with Camtasia then move on to Sony Vegas (at least two grades so that's two months sorted!)  MAGIX have a t least one video trial and they do a cheapish, 50quid version that might suit?

Dave.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    The most reliable video editor I have found so far is reaper..although sadly that's a negative comment on the quality of the video specific packages out there rather than glowing praise for reaper.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Lightworks is meant to be the best free one.
    OP - I intend to do similar at some point. 
    WHat camera & mic are you using?
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    Hiya. For recording audio (me playing) I'm going straight into a Line6 Toneport then into Reaper.

For camera I've just been using my phone (Lg G3). I've only done quick clips from my phone for Instagram however I'm working on doing decent videos on Youtube. 

I just downloaded Lightworks so I'll see how that goes.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Cool - I've download both that and Windows Movie Maker. But I hear Windows Movie Maker and youtube (has software for editing itself if you log in) are basic. 
    I'm using a Zoom H2n for separate audio. 

What are you doing regarding backgrounds etc - green screen!? 
    If you go onto a site called "fiverr" you pay $5 and somebody will create a youtube intro for you.
  • @Stevepage - how's it going with Lightworks?
    I've decided to use this instead of youtube app or Windows Movie Maker - just going through the tutorial vids and demo project now. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    If you want to get semi serious about it then Adobe Premiere is good for PC. It's powerful and later versions are much more flexible and user friendly (I think Final Cut Pro might have made Adobe pull their finger out).

Green and Blue screen is easier than you might think. Key to getting good results is to put as much distance as you can between subject and Green /Blue. If you're careful with your lighting 5-6 feet is okay but more is easier/better.

If you did go the Premiere route then you can make complex Motion Graphics Intros & Title sequences including multiple layers and tiled windows etc. It's a lot of fun though there is a learning curve. Adobe's Classroom In A Book series is the best tutorial and learning aid for all Adobe products.
  • That does look amazing but I'm not going to use it "professionally" as such - just for creating the odd youtube video. If I did get into it more seriously then I might consider paying - Lightworks free version is pretty good...!
  • I've moved on from Lightworks.
    Now trying out a demo version of PowerDirector. 

If you google any package you'll find people complaining about issues so I try not to worry on that front. Adobe looks the best but too expensive. Might try the cut-down Elements package. Also Sony Vegas. 
  • After a lot of research and demoing different products I bought PowerDirector Ultimate for £47 and got a bunch of stuff free... notably AudioDirector which has noise/hiss/click reduction tools which will help massively with some little niggles I've got. The video software works a treat. By default it allows proxy editing so playback is a lot better than it was in Lightworks. 
  • I've never had so much fun playing with a video editor. VERY glad I bought this, I have to say!
    Stuff playing guitar, I want to make videos lol!
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Regards cameras, I just bought a Limux G7 that punches above it's price point. There's £100 cash back offer as well.