In ear monitors in a small pub/ club?

jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
Our singer sometimes struggles to pitch if she can't hear herself. Are in ears do able at this level. Anyone got experience of this? If so what system would they reccomend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Yes, it works well. I must admit that I didn't believe it would, and thought that it was just another thing to go wrong.  We use the cheap Tbone system from Thomann.  It has solved our monitoring and feedback problems, and also removed a physical barrier between ourselves and our audience.

We use two transmitters, on different frequencies.  This allows us to run separate mixes for singers and instrumentalists.  It also provides resilience if one transmitter goes down, or one of the frequencies gets interference.  The system is stereo, which allows us to pan the singers to help them separate their voices.

Personally I'm not happy with the Tbone because it's noisy, and EQs out the low mids.  But it works for the singers, and band funds don't allow anything better.

For IEMs we use a mixture.  The keyboard player is happy with the standard Tbone earpiece.  Drummer has gone for the graded Tbone.  Bass, who also does BVs, and I both use Shure SE215s.  Singer I'm not sure, at one rehearsal he was using white Apple plugs
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10426

IEM's tend to work better at small gigs than wedges in my opinion as the sound from a wedge monitor at a small gig can be nearly as loud as the PA but not half as nice sounding ......... being the audience is listening to the wrong side of it. 

I use SE215's into my own golden ears system which features ambient mics and direct wired sound with no interference as signal comes up the guitar cable. Other guys use Senn EW300 and drummers use simple headphone amp. 

Mix is controlled via iPhone but A & H have an Android ap out for their desk at last  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    edited July 2015
    Ambient mics are a big plus if, as is usually the case in small gigs, you are not micing everything. For a spell I used in ears just to give me my vocal because at most gigs it was the only thing going through PA apart from a bit of kick. Found it very difficult to get a decent balance in the ear buds. Added a levalier mic as an ambient and it was a big improvement. @Danny1969 the Golden Ears system sounds interesting. Can you point us in the direction of any info?