Idea for a build

What's Hot
I'm thinking a zebrawood top tele thinline, with single f-hole on the bass side, chrome hardware, modern style tele bridge unit, ebony board neck (I have one suitable). The neck pickup would be a zebra coil bucker (so a real "zebra" guitar), with chrome surround. So not exactly the same, but I did find this pic of someone's tele build while randomly surfing, and I really like the general look:

So mine would have a zebra coil neck humbucker and no middle pickup, ebony board neck. I'd probably go for swamp ash for the body wood below the top also, rather than the darker wood used above. But I reckon it could be a plan. :)
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Tele's and variants are supposed to be plain and boring, which is why folk are so amazed when they boot the Les Paul off the stage.

(Unless it's a Les Paul Junior).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    Go for it I reckon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JohnB;693413" said:
    Go for it I reckon
    Oh it'll be pretty etc, but won't look like a Tele.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16801
    jd0272 said:
    JohnB;693413" said:
    Go for it I reckon

don't be daft - tele's are versatile, they don't all have to be a blackguard
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Not a fan of zebra wood personally, but go for it if it's what you like
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I suppose it would look all right in the flesh but in photos zebrawood always looks a bit formica-ish to me.
    WezV;693486" said:
    jd0272 said:

JohnB;693413" said:Go for it I reckon

don't be daft - tele's are versatile, they don't all have to be a blackguard
    Quite correct Mr V. Lots of lovely colours to spray them, and they can have white guards too.

Fancy woods look too 'boutique' for a blue collar guitar.

I'll still Wow one when they appear tho :)
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

It will look awesome.  I have a zebrawood Les Paul and would kill for a similar tele.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    With an ebony board it would look fantastic!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks for the comments chaps - I was interested to hear what people thought. I guess zebrawood might be one of those marmite things... Actually, I can see where the formica comment is coming from, but I would hope that I could avoid that being an issue if I use a nice Tru Oil finish. I still look at it and like it anyhow.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Go for it @Megii

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

Megii said:
    Thanks for the comments chaps - I was interested to hear what people thought. I guess zebrawood might be one of those marmite things... Actually, I can see where the formica comment is coming from, but I would hope that I could avoid that being an issue if I use a nice Tru Oil finish. I still look at it and like it anyhow.
    Zebrawood's stunning, I'm just mentally trapped into seeing that sort of finish on pointy/boutique things is all.
    jd0272 said:
    Megii said:
    Zebrawood's stunning, I'm just mentally trapped into seeing that sort of finish on pointy/boutique things is all.
    I think it's possibly true that the whole boutique guitar/fancy wood kind of thing is not at all "rock n roll" - I can see that, and especially with regard to the tele. I'm a jazzer though, so I have no such worries. :D
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Go for it my friend. If it was my call, I would choose black hardware - bridge, pickup surrounds, tuners etc. and no scratchplate..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    You'll have to get the grain running vertically to match the pickup.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Go for it my friend. If it was my call, I would choose black hardware - bridge, pickup surrounds, tuners etc. and no scratchplate..
    The thought has occurred - I think that could be very good. Definitely no scratchplate I agree.
    You'll have to get the grain running vertically to match the pickup.
    :D Could be tricky, I think I'll not worry about that one. Guitarbuild has a couple of thinline bodies up at the mo, where the grain swirls round, rather than the vertical stripes look - I think I might prefer that in fact. For e.g. http://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/specials-actual-items-pictured-tc-bodies/products/guitarbuild-tc-thinline-body-one-piece-swamp-ash-extra-lightweight-1-3-kg-803755

But it really is speculation at this stage, I may not get the build going for a while, and I would have to get a body done with custom routing for that neck bucker, which I really do want rather than the classic tele neck pickup.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    @Megii, have you thought about doing it cabronita style with a pair of f-tron type thingies?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

I have thought about the possibility of something "tron-ish" for the neck slot yes, but for whatever reason, I do want the tele-style bridge unit with the slanted single coil pickup. One can get tron-type pickups to fit in a regular bucker slot though - I like the idea of going with a standard bucker rout for the neck, and partly that's simply down to the range of different pickup types that are made in that size - it would mean I'm able to change for something else if I try a pickup and don't get on with it. I guess at the moment the strongest contender for me would be a PAF type, probably with 4 conductor wiring so I could tap it for a lighter tone. But yes, the f-tron types are very interesting, and I do wonder what such a pickup would be like for playing jazz. :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I'm with @Sassafras on this - zebrawood often looks great in photos and in the right light that accentuates contrast but can also look much less impressive or fakey in other light and in the flesh.