Experienced Giggers.....Coping with Stage Lights or Lack off Lights?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
OK, so I've got off my arse and got out gigging again this year. I've done quite a few gigs now and I'm comfortable enough with the situation of playing in front of a crowd.

The only thing that has unsettled me on a couple of occasions has been getting used to the stage lights. The Band has 2 of those what are technically known as "4xLED Bar on a Tripod efforts".We're not made of money, so we'll build up from that slowly.

This was the worst though, I did an outdoor Charity Gig on Saturday(my 1st outdoor gig), most of it at after sundown and while the stage was lit well, the lights were behind the band, but no lights above us. We did the gig on a Curtain Side Truck Trailer. When it got dark, I was struggling to see the fingerboard and even worse, see the string separation and the thin strings(my eyesight is fine btw).

This meant every time a solo came up my heart was in my mouth, having made a balls up of one solo, it put pressure on me for the rest of the gig. I got through in the end without too many notable fluffs, but it made the gig less enjoyable. Rhythm wise I was fine I can do that partially blind.

I did end up having to turn nearly 90 degrees from the crowd when the solos came up so some of the lights at other end of stage lit up my Guitar adequately. I'm not a beginner and I can play quite well by "feel" but this was weird, it was like all the "definition" of shape and position seemed to be skewed by the lighting situation.

Another gig (indoor) not long back had lights above, but only the one worked, over the Singist, which also made me scrutinize the neck more and piss about re positioning myself. I'm double comfortable with my Lead Guitar parts, I rehearse them regularly, this is not about practice.

I don't know much about what is on the market in terms of Lights, but, do you experienced Giggers use your own individual lighting? Do some of you have your own light on the floor or something else?

Any helpful info appreciated, thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2015
    Get a couple of floor mounted LED par cans and have those in front pointing up at you. Here's our set up at a sports/social club gig. Note the two lights at the front. http://s5.postimg.org/komszmbtj/image.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Gigs where you can't get the lights in front and above you can be a pain, but in a similar way I've had plenty of moments when I shout at whoever is controlling the lights and blacked out the stage just before I start a number and need to glance to check I'm in the right place.

Bands I play with tend to bring their/our own lights - anything from a couple of little 4 in a box to multiple t bars,  I tend to leave that to someone else and sort the sound but I do like it well lit.  If we know a gig will have really good lights we'd leave ours in the trailer.

I find starting songs in the dark more awkward - once we're off I can usually feel it, so I guess there is an element of experience there - a bit like being able to pick out your sound in a mushy stage mix.        

Just a thought but I have a pair of icolour4's in the garage that I was thinking of taking along to some gigs to sit on the floor uplighting the band as an extra to the lights above.  They are pretty cheap and something like that might make life easier.   I thought about one pointing at me that I can kick in for solo's :)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited July 2015
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24376
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    @Emp_Fab

Is that to protect my head from the bottles coming at the stage for screwing up a solo.

Doesn't Mark King have one of those? Don't think I'd have a problem seeing that.
    edited July 2015
    Thanks @not_the_dj and @John_P

I think I'd go with something like NTDJ described. Thanks for recommending the icolours though, John, but I think too many colours might irk me somewhat.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10426
    We have a full on light show with our own lighting guy and sometimes you can't see shit with all the lasers and blackouts. I've learnt to get by without looking at the fretboard for most things ... muscle memory and all that. 

Ideally the lights should be in front and above you but that's seldom possible so above to the sides is second best 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    We have a full on light show with our own lighting guy and sometimes you can't see shit with all the lasers and blackouts. I've learnt to get by without looking at the fretboard for most things ... muscle memory and all that. 

Ideally the lights should be in front and above you but that's seldom possible so above to the sides is second best 

Thanks @Danny1969

This Truck Trailer Gig was always gonna be a bit minimalist, but the Band will get more gear as we go on. I might even get my own "Security Blanket Light". I do need to keep glancing at the Fretboard though for Lead Guitar. I've heard you play and you are a little higher up the ladder than me shall we say :-)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24376
    Do you wear glasses ?

What about these...   You would look super-cool !  Almost Borg-like !

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Do you wear glasses ?

What about these...   You would look super-cool !  Almost Borg-like !

I'm not taking my bloody Tennis Racket on stage and miming, besides, Borg has plenty of hair ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GavHaus said:
    Yep, it's best just to leave em all on if it's that Dark ;-)

We had the opposite problem doing the soundcheck, blistering sunshine and couldn't tell if some pedals were on or off. I must get some kind of natty Parasol in case we do some daytime summer gigs in future.
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    Far better to be blind and hear what you're playing than be able to see but not hear.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Far better to be blind and hear what you're playing than be able to see but not hear.
    So true @viz as long as it's not the sound of a Guitarist hitting some bum notes fumbling around his fretboard, Lol.

This little moan made me think of Stevie Wonder, not jokingly, I do love Stevie Wonder's music and his talent is beyond measure. Blindness aside, his songwriting talent is fantastic, then add in the fact he's blind and can play musical instruments just adds to the respect for him. Sadly I am not quite as talented :-)

Yep he's brilliant, I love him.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    GavHaus said:
    That's exactly why I went to the trouble of changing the LEDs in all my pedals so they at least approximately match the colour of the pedal. Coupled with a rough position it's fairly foolproof.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I did that on my rat :(
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    viz said:
    I did that on my rat :(
    That seems a bit excessive - I'm sure the RSPCA wouldn't have been too happy. Still, if it stopped you stepping on the poor creature ...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Not sure it would help much, since the rat is black...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    Has anyone here tried luminous side dots, or painted anything on the existing dots? I wondered about trying this.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.