Non-guitar related wood repair question

What's Hot
Not sure if I should be asking this in here, but I'm going to try.

As some of you know, my wife is disabled. She gets around the house using a powered wheelchair. The nature of her condition means that sometimes her driving is a bit erratic, and the nature of the chair she has is that the results can be pretty brutal.

The other day, she took a door off the kitchen cupboards. Literally. Ripped the hinges right out of the board.

The problem is, it's done a fair bit of damage to the board, cos it's just bog standard chip board. Not even mdf.

So how do I go about repairing the damage to the board so that I can put the door back on? It's very tempting indeed to take the other door off and leave them nice and open so we don't have to bother opening the doors (did I tell you I'm not just a fucking idiot, I'm a lazy fat bastard too?), but the overhang of the chair and even the dog's wagging tail mean that items kept in the doorless cupboard have frequently gone flying.

I would normally just glue some other bits of wood in the holes and rescrew the hinges on, but it's taken some collateral bits of board with it, rather like a screw coming out of some plaster. It's not a neat hole.

So may I ask the more carpentry-minded members if they any ideas on what I could do next?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16809
    try this

apparently superglue will work on chipboard, but i wouldn't trust it to  hold screws after - the resin based filler should be better for that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @WezV, I'll get that sorted.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    I have a repaired desk/table - the type with metal frame/legs and a formica'd chipboard tabletop which is screwed to the top. When I acquired it, it had ripped the screws out (probably several times - it had had a hard life in a community hall where my mate is the caretaker) leaving large chunks of chipboard missing.

I repaired it by filling the voids with metal repair epoxy (which is drillable and will take a thread) and then re-drilling and attaching the top -  it's been solid as a rock ever since.
  • Ta for that, too.

We used to have a Wickes down the road in Rugby, but it (along with the whole of the rest of the mini estate it was on) has been bulldozed for a completely new thing that's not finished yet.