Putting a switchable buffer inside guitar?

What's Hot
How easy or hard would this be? 

I was wondering if a push push or push pull pot could be used to switch an onboard buffer on or off in, say, a thinline telecaster.  I don't know where I would find room for such a thing, presumably the PCB's are teeeny so I could make up a cornish buffer clone, insulate it and mount it on a mini switch or push/push.

I ask because of a genuine use. I loved the noises the Zoom Ultra Fuzz could do with the volume and tone controls, but post buffer this doesn't happen.  I'd use it first in chain and switch the buffer on and off as needed. 

Failing that, I could make one up in a small enclosure and make it footswitchable but it'll be a shitty true bypass switch because I don't have the electrical knowledge to wire anything cleverer up. Maybe a DPDT. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    How often are you going to be switching a buffer on and off? I'd say chuck in a 3PDT. Stuff in guitars always sounds fun, but then you've got to worry about onboard batteries (and where to put them) or phantom power.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhulio said:
    How often are you going to be switching a buffer on and off? I'd say chuck in a 3PDT. Stuff in guitars always sounds fun, but then you've got to worry about onboard batteries (and where to put them) or phantom power.
    Yeah, that's my worry. 

Will a standard true bypass switch pop? Most I've used pop, so I avoid them like the plague. 

It's literally *just* for the fuzz - I love having it unbuffered for solos and intros but buffered to remove the oscillations for riffing and chord work. 

I'm probably worrying too much and should learn to control it. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Yeah the switch may pop, depending upon the application and whether any pull-down resistors are used. Perhaps build a tiny Millenium I bypass circuit on a piece of vero board. It's less than half a dozen parts.
  • Might look into that.

Giving a touch more thought I do *not* want it in my guitar - too complicated, battery space, switching etc. It could fit into a teensy box.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Why not just get a true bypass clean boost pedal and set it to no-boost? That will effectively be a buffer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;695961" said:
    Why not just get a true bypass clean boost pedal and set it to no-boost? That will effectively be a buffer.
    And the winner is the man who told me I have a reason to get the TC electronic spark boost ;)