Andy Latimer (Camel) Guitars/Fx

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
edited July 2015 in Guitar
Just got in from seeing Camel tonight - really great gig and Andy delivered as usual.  A mate of mine hadn't seen them before and said it was the best guitar performance he'd ever seen and he goes to a lot of gigs.

He used a les paul and a superstrat through a marshall and vox, with a few choice pedals - looks like two tube screamers, rat, choral/flange, dl4 and a flint.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The strat is a Roger Giffin and the Les Paul is a Deluxe that was retopped by Roger Giffin in 1984/5. It was a lovely piece of maple and the rest of the board is on the front of my blue pointy thing I made at about the same time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158

What's the other Strymon pedal?

Looks like a cool setup- not too complex but lots of options. Why three drive pedals though? I don't see a channel switch for the amp...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I think the 3 drive pedals give (a) a choice of drives for when a choice is needed, but (b, probably more importantly) that smooth ongoing sustained drive which characterises a lot of his solos when used together. I have found that one drive on its own is always a bit gritty, whereas putting one into another smooths it off quite a lot. BTW I use a Mk I Guv'nor, scooped, with the drive on about 8 first, into a Real Tube Overdrive slightly humped in the middle with the drive on about 2. Both have their uses individually, but together they come across slightly Andy Latimer-ish
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

What's the other Strymon pedal?

Flint and Deco
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Certainly likes green and black pedals...
    Stop crying, start buying
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Moss said:
    Certainly likes green and black pedals...
    Moss, Green and Black make Chocolate bars...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    It's frightening - I've been digging Camel for 40 years
    :-O
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Don't worry @Phil_aka_Pip you're not the only one. I bought their first album in 1973 after seeing them on OGWT. Doesn't time fly?
  • SpeedypSpeedyp Frets: 0
    Become a bit obsessed about Andy's tone recently which led me here... Even got myself a vintage Burny Supergrade a few years ago :)

From what I can see his amps vary from Marshall DSL (one of my least fav amps)..  or vox or Fender Twin. Probably run pretty clean, so most of his tone comes from his fingers, guitar & effects.

Was quite amazed to see the amount of effects he uses, and retro old school stomp pedals. I'm thinking he found his "sound" early on in his career and has never deviated much since. Although the Clapton style strat did change things a bit.

Anyway - great guitarist.

The best I can tell from the op photo, his pedal lineup is from left to right:
    crybaby wah
    boss tuner
    rat 2 distortion
    Tube screamer 1
    Tube screamer 2
    Boss DD8 delay
    Line 6 DL4 delay / reverb (on floor)
    Fulltone Choralflanger
    Strymon Flint tremolo / reverb
    Strymon Tape effects pedal

Doubt he runs the rat and both TS's at once and guess the 2 TS are to offer different settings options. Also surprised by the number of delay / reverb pedals! And had expected to see some kind of compressor (& maybe a noise gate!) in there?

• YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 288
    Love Latimer! Such a melodic and lyrical player.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Love Latimer! Such a melodic and lyrical player.
    I agree.