Broken gibson acoustic headstock ... repair advice - UPDATE

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
edited August 2015 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
So a friend of mine has just dropped his Gibson Acoustic - resulting in this: 

He's asking if I can fix it. Looks like an easy enough fix to me, nice clean break - straightforward glue and clamp?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    Not a clean break really - it may not be that easy to work glue thoroughly into it, and there's some crushing and splintering - but repairable.

It may need splinting as well as just gluing to make a really strong repair - that's a job for a luthier unless you're experienced at this sort of thing.

And why has he not taken the tension off the strings already?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the advice. He's taking it to the Gibson authorised repair centre in Manchester instead. Probably for the best. :-)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the advice. He's taking it to the Gibson authorised repair centre in Manchester instead. Probably for the best. :-)
    .....Where they will just Titebond it and clamp it and no doubt charge for the privilege ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Probably. I have explained that to him but it's what he's comfortable with I guess :-)
    Depends who does it. They will probably contract it out to a good local luthier. It's probably an advantage if he ever wants to sell it to be able to say it's been done by the authorised Gibson repairer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    Here's an update for anyone who's interested. He's managed to claim through the insurance, who are paying for it to be repaired at a Gibosn service centre, for just over £600! Anyone else think that's a tad on the high side for a headstock repair?
    Yes. Sounds like the typical car accident damage insurance scam which is why we all pay so much for insurance and why so many older cars are unnecessarily written off after minor bumps.

"Insurance job? Double the price."

Unless they're going to replace the whole neck - but even that sounds a bit high if they could get a replacement from Gibson, rather than making one by hand.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    Yup, that is double the usual amount.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    That's got to be a neck replacement. List price straight from Gibson and top dollar labour costs.

A good outcome for the owner to be fair!
  • melvynhiscockmelvynhiscock Frets: 99
    edited August 2015
    I doubt that is a new neck, I think it is taking the pee. I would be interested to see the finished result
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If people are mug enough to pay that, I'm way undercharging!  :|