So what composition challenge do you want next?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Personally I haven't found any composition challenge that interests me yet.  My suggestion would be to make the challenge involve a piece of music between 1 minute and 3 minutes long - the rest is up to you.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Personally I haven't found any composition challenge that interests me yet.  My suggestion would be to make the challenge involve a piece of music between 1 minute and 3 minutes long - the rest is up to you.  
    @bingefeller Out of interest what sort of music would you like to record?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Rock mostly, and I'd perhaps dabble in what I'd call jazz fusion.  
    Fretwired said:
    The 80s task would have been up your street ... a little bit of Guns N' Roses ... I'm partial to some jazz fusion. I'm sure Mr Antique Guitars will take note ....

Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    The 80s task would have been up your street ... a little bit of Guns N' Roses ... I'm partial to some jazz fusion. I'm sure Mr Antique Guitars will take note ....

Yeah I ,missed the 80s one sadly Thinking about it, once I get my boss gt 001 next month I will have more motivation to record and may become more interested n the challenges then.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7299
    As long as I can get away it's submitting metal then I'm in.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    As long as I can get away it's submitting metal then I'm in.
    No restriction on metal so set riffage to 11 and shred away ..

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    tv theme tune reinvention.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

I like the still photo ( perhaps a painting ) idea.

I'd like to hear a  metal/jazz fusion track inspired by a Picasso

Or an enigmatic mona Lisa hip hop/blues

tennis player scratching her arse Ska would be the winner though 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7299
    kin;704414" said:
    She'd have to be scratching pretty hard to leave a ska.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    kin;704414" said:
    She'd have to be scratching pretty hard to leave a ska.

I'd dress her in baggy trousers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Steely Fan- reworking Steely Dan tunes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What about reworking pop tunes?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    edited July 2015
    Fretwired said:
    And if you're a dyed-in-the-wool blueser, who's to say 'Bring on the funky folk' couldn't be a 12 bar shuffle? Just try and stretch yourself a little inspired by the remit of the challenge.

I agree. Maybe we're part of the problem. I've had a couple of instances of comments along the lines of "cool song but it didn't fit the brief so nil points" ... I'm pretty sure I made a similar comment to you @steamabacus ..

Very much my take on it too.  I like a set of restrictions within which to work because that fires up the creativity but after that I'm just not into rigid rules because that shuts creativity right down, for me at any rate.  When it's like "it doesn't fit the brief" I feel it doesn't matter too much if the link is only tenuous or has bent the rules out of shape.  It's not like it's a commission!

I'm not sure if I like the points thing or not.  EDIT, I reckon I do like it!  On the plus side it's a nice way of giving honest feedback without the rigmarole of having to write an NME piece about each tune -- which is lovely if you've got time to do it (and I used to in another setting) but sometimes you'd run out of things to say and all you really want to do is go:  I liked the top three in this order!  On the negative side I thought it seemed a bit Eurovision but I've changed my mind.  Points system's a winner :)

My absolute favourite way of composition challenges was the way it was done on Ade Clark's old site:  someone sets a challenge, you all have a go.  And at the end of the challenge the person who set it PMs one of the entrants to set the next challenge.  That way you get a regular turn over of ideas, and from different people.  And there's no official roster of who-set-what-when, just as it comes.  (Saw some Yanks try and do this on a US forum and I swear they spent 9 months just trying to get a democratic system by which time everyone had lost interest.) Just pass the baton along to whoever you think of. Quick n simple but works.

Combine that basic method with the points system of Sheldon's challenges here, which enables easy feedback without the need to comment in detail, and it would be great (I reckon! haha!).  And no need for prizes either IMO because creativity seems reward enough.

:)

EDIT - bold added to get to the point! oops :\">
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9865
    edited July 2015
    I too like the one word/image stimulus idea but not every time, but could be worth it during holiday season to give people more of a chance to do something. "Do what you do" could also be cool, so like people enter something typical of what they normally like to pay. I'd see it as half a step back into your comfort zone, but half a step back out again as it's quite a challenge to represent yourself or sum up your music in three minutes
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    bingefeller;704877" said:
    What about reworking pop tunes?
    can I combine that with the tennis player scratching her arse ska and youse all can come up with arrangements for my much vaunted Skapenters project?
    :ar!
    I'll go back to sleep now... I-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    Skapenters
    Genius!
    :)