Michael Lee Firkins covers – Post 'em, discuss 'em!

DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I love this player, especially his first album, even though he likes it less than the later ones, blaming the producer's input. I suppose I'm just a rabid Varney fan.

Anyway, I always thought his style would be really tough to cop.

Imagine my surprise when, trawling again for a suitable guitar teacher locally, I came upon this version of Laughing Stacks with only about 60 views on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_PBfBiG3wY

It hit me immediately how covering such a personal style as Firkins' is a really thankless task. I was impressed at how close Uli Widenhorn is getting, though. And it takes some balls to do all those rad licks in one playthrough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Very, very impressive, that guy's whammy bar work is amazing. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@bingefeller

Great, isn't it? I'd intended this thread to be full of MiLF covers, but to be honest, I can't find any other really good ones on YouTube. I expected at least a few, as there are so many covers on YouTube... Maybe I'll go and dig up Dave Kilminster's cover of Runaway Train from Guitar Techniques. I've got that buried in a box somewhere, only learned the huge scary arpeggios when I got the magazine.

DLM said:

@bingefeller

Great, isn't it? I'd intended this thread to be full of MiLF covers, but to be honest, I can't find any other really good ones on YouTube. I expected at least a few, as there are so many covers on YouTube... Maybe I'll go and dig up Dave Kilminster's cover of Runaway Train from Guitar Techniques. I've got that buried in a box somewhere, only learned the huge scary arpeggios when I got the magazine.

Would absolutely love to see / hear that! 
    @Bingefeller Can't check now, but I think the transcription is the one on Ultimate Guitar. Someone took Dave's work from the magazine and wrote it up in PowerTab.

Thanks, @DLM. ; Will check when i get home from work. 

@Bucket

Tagging you because if you'd not heard of Greg Howe, you might not have heard of Firkins, and you'd be missing out...