Velvet Revolver

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
It's a pretty basic question, are the VR albums worth spending any time on?

Now I can add the bit that makes this question much longer :D I'm a big Slash fan, really in to Guns back in the day, quite liked the first offering from Snake Pit, and currently World on Fire is one of my fav rock albums of all time. Some how (and I'm guessing it's my hate for Scott) I literally missed VR completely.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    The first is better than the second. They are ok, very good in parts. They are/were more bog standard rock than GNR, for me they lack the roll that Stradlin and Adler gave them. Weiland did a good Axl live, mirrored shades, sideways dancing, peaked cap etc etc, if you like Slash's new stuff you will probably like them
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    The first album was very good. Really like Scott Weilan's voice as well even though I don't know any Stone Temple Pilots stuff
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    I like Slash a lot. But VR...meh.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    beed84;707943" said:
    I like Slash a lot. But VR...meh.
    I hate Scott, I'm not sure I can look past that but reading Slash biography it seems he viewed the time as a good time that was as creative as GnR ever was, and to be honest I'm hungry for some more sleazy rock guitar to learn.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Slither was about the sleaziest track they had. I think the Slash's Snakepit albums were way better.
    beed84;707973" said:
    Slither was about the sleaziest track they had. I think the Slash's Snakepit albums were way better.
    On that note I think it's made my mind up to continue to ignore them then :D
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I quite like the Vr albums, considering I prefer more straight ahead metal.

I much prefer them to Chinese Democracy, or the later GnR albums.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    mike_l said:

I quite like the Vr albums, considering I prefer more straight ahead metal.

I much prefer them to Chinese Democracy, or the later GnR albums.

Later GnR albums?
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456
    The first album is definitely worth a blast
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

both are "ok" if you're a guns fan, it's 5 o'clock somewhere is much better though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Best non-GNR album (and I'm a BIG fan - Slash got me into guitar) is "Ain't Life Grand" by Slash's Snakepit. 

I'm not overly keen on Myle's voice with the new stuff. 
    VR stuff was hit and miss at times. 
    ALL the Snakepit stuff was golden.
    edited July 2015
    thomasross20;708832" said:
    Best non-GNR album (and I'm a BIG fan - Slash got me into guitar) is "Ain't Life Grand" by Slash's Snakepit. 

I'm not overly keen on Myle's voice with the new stuff. VR stuff was hit and miss at times. 

ALL the Snakepit stuff was golden.
    Not a huge Myles fan at all but world on Fire is awesome, it sounds like late 80s LA rock, which is fine with me.

Snake Pit I liked but always felt and sounded like it was Slash and a singer, wasn't coherent I guess. With Myles it does sound like a band again.

I like Slither from VR and Fall to Pieces I appreciate as Scott seems very honest lyrically, but the other bit I seen of VR was Scott pretending he was Axl on some live show I caught a bit of and it was horrible.

I'm going to take a listen I think and see how I get on with them.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    edited July 2015
    Weiland was superb with Stone temple Pilots. Shot to shit now though. Slash is shite, so no, don't buy the albums. Go buy the first 2 STP albums instead. ;)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Another vote for the first album.  Second album was very average.  
    SidNewton;708867" said:
    Weiland was superb with Stone temple Pilots. Shot to shit now though. Slash is shite, so no, don't buy the albums. Go buy the first 2 STP albums instead. ;)
    STP were ok, nothing more, there was lots of bands doing the same thing but better at the time. Thank you for telling me know Slash is shit it wasn't something I was aware of, you've made me come to senses.

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    1) They're not like Snakepit
    2) They're not like GnR
    3) I would say it's heavier (well, the first album anyway) than GnR
    4) Slash does some good work on it
    5) Libertad, the second VR album, I don't remember the last time I played it but there's only 2 (maybe 3) songs on it that are worth listening to... But the first album is worth checking out.

Summary: first album good, second album not so. Worth checking out #1 but if you're feeling "time-poor", bypass #2. Remember: they're a supergroup so you'll hear a lot of stuff in them that you didn't hear in GnR etc. I think people forget that sometimes and just try to pin it down to the legacy of the bands that went before and brush them off on those merits. IMO, as far as supergroups go, they were one of the best - at least for one album's worth anyway!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    edited July 2015
    Not interested in the next GnR to be honest, just some straight up rock n roll, I will give it a shot in the car and see how it goes. If nothing else hope it has some decent riffs on it to learn.

Edit: are they really a super group? I mean Dave was a part time guitarist before VR, 3 of them were in the last "real" GnR touring band and Scott was in STP. Super groups conjour up a different image to me
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    If you're a big fan you're going to buy the albums regardless of what we say - and so you should!

I think Myles' voice tries to resemble Axl's too much. But it's a bit too whiney. There's not GRIT in there and a lot of the songs have "melodic" vocals, as such... whereas Axl's style was more "in your face" with a more conversational slant. But hey, I don't disagree the new stuff is good - I just don't listen to it that much which means they're not classics for me. I get what you're saying about Snakepit (both albums??) being about Slash + singer but I just think the TUNES on those albums are amaaaazing! Rod what's his name had a really great voice and the blusier album was very mellow and musical. 
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

I bloody love the latest two Slash albums with Myles, but then I am an Alter Bridge fan. Phenomenal singer and if you watch some of the latest live shows on Youtube, they are just spot-on. Not as gritty as Axl, but a total pro who can hit the high notes in Sweet Child O' Mine every night.

GnR had the swagger/hunger in spades but Slash just keeps getting better and better IMO. Who'd have thought that he'd be the GnR member still producing high quality albums?!!

Oh yeah, VR: OK.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    @bluechargeboy have to agree on Slash his output gets better year on year and his work ethic is out of this world.

Appetite was a once in a career kind of album but like you said Slash is the only one out of the group still regularly touring and releasing material on a big scale.

Just finished 're reading his biography and he really is lucky to be alive.