SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Prices prices prices

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    The thing that always makes me laugh is when buying most understandably want a bargain, but on the flip side when selling some are then looking for top dollar.

Seems inconsistent to me.

Thankfully here is not too bad on that score but MR classifieds and the usual suspects did suffer from this.

As far as shoot for the moon prices people should be free to ask what they wish and buyers are then free to not buy. If you then feel strongly enough about it then politely PM  the seller with real world examples of past sales and not speculation.

I am sure we have all had people (I know I have) who quote asking prices on EBay and the like but never finished ones that had actually sold.

Even for this you need to take an average because you get spikes of high and low at different times.

Just my 2p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
    On the old place it was very hit and miss whether you got an email saying you had a pm so it became habit to mention it in the thread, as well as getting first dibs in.

Most people here are very aware of the typical prices things fetch but it's up to the seller to advertise at whatever price they want - if you don't like it then don't buy it or make an offer - don't ruin it for them.  
    There are always a few items at silly prices but you wouldn't tell waitrose they are wrong - you'd just go aldi if it bothered you that much ;-)

+1000  This pretty much sums the whole thing up for me.

I've also noticed on occasions that some people will post in an ad that it was originally theirs, now I get it if you're going to comment on how wonderful the guy was when he bought it from you, but I also sometimes get the feeling they maybe posting to let you know they're watching you don't sell it for more than you bought it for (yeah I'm paranoid LOL).

The classic high priced ad for me is the one where they start high and as time goes by (months) the slowly chip away at the price until it gets to what it should of been to start with (I'm seeing that a lot at ebay).

I have to say at nearly all gear forums, there's never really great bargains to be had because we all know roughly how much stuff is, so when a stupid asking price appears we all get a tad ruffled, maybe it's because we actually think someone might buy it and they'll walk away with a great profit
    :))
  • I think there should be some room for discretion here. Some guy who has signed up just to flog his gear on the forum is fair game for public hassle about over pricing but a normal member I reckon. Same deal if someone has a history of over pricing.

If it's just an odd mis-judgement from someone who actively participates int he forum then I'm more inclined to say that stickiong your nose isn't really on.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Drew_fx said:
    John_P said:
    There are always a few items at silly prices but you wouldn't tell waitrose they are wrong - you'd just go aldi if it bothered you that much ;-)

That is not a very good argument. Last I checked, Waitrose weren't selling second hand pies that have been bashed about a bit, and asking nearly brand-new prices for them. Nor do Aldi AFAIK.

PMd you on the used pie

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17623
    tFB Trader
    Hastling sellers against the classified rules. 

It's their right to sell it for whatever they like and it's your right not to buy it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom