Jazz lesson reviews

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
I bought some jazz lessons recently so here is a short review of each.

Very good lesson here and it comes with some tabs and lead sheets of three of Lage's tunes.  He has some interesting ideas, such as how to comp using different maj9th chords over an entire tune.  He talks about voicings with 10ths, swapping notes around in chords, how to create movement in any setting.  As I said in another thread, more experienced jazz players will probably know most of stuff already.  He also talks gear.  

I only paid for the 5 day stream as I figured out how to download it but I would not recommend it.  It's very basic in that he spends time talking about learning the notes of the fingerboard, how he would practice scales all along one string.  He talks about playing scales in 4ths, 7ths, 10ths etc.  It only cost £5 but complete waste at that.  

The most interesting lesson I bought recently.  Again it only cost £5 for the 5 day stream.  He talks about loads of stuff like how he uses arpeggios, practicing over drones, using different notes in each octave when playing arpeggios...loads of great arpeggio ideas.  I'd recommend this video out of all three.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    have you tried jazzguitar.be ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    have you tried jazzguitar.be ?
    I've had a look but never really followed the lessons.  I prefer the online lessons from famous players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    Thanks for the reviews.  Not sure I'd go with any of these based on those reviews, but it's useful to know what you think.

I guess we're always on the look out for lessons that will make a difference but the truth is finding good material to practice is a lot easier than finding the time to get through it..........
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the reviews.  Not sure I'd go with any of these based on those reviews, but it's useful to know what you think.

I guess we're always on the look out for lessons that will make a difference but the truth is finding good material to practice is a lot easier than finding the time to get through it..........
    There's a lot more in the videos than what I mentioned.  Hopefully Kurt Rosenwinkel will bring out a lesson at some stage...
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited July 2015
    The trouble with most Jazz lessons is that they spend too much time with older Jazz standards that use Functional Harmony based on stacking thirds as chords, then learning single line improvisations that emphasis playing these thirds as chord tones. Unless your aim is to play old style Swing Tunes in a Jazz setting, you could waste valuable time on these types of lessons, when you could be learning the style that you really want to play.

Just my very experienced opinion.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Corey Christiansen has a good lesson on Quartal Harmony (might be on Youtube these days), if more modern sounds are your thing
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    John Stowell's Truefire lessons concentrate on modern playing as do Tom Lippincott's.  The three lessons I reviewed come from a modern perspective too. 
    John Stowell's Truefire lessons concentrate on modern playing as do Tom Lippincott's.  The three lessons I reviewed come from a modern perspective too. 
    Yeah, they're all good modern players, Tim Miller's stuff might be worth looking at, he's another top modern player.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/internetguitarlesson/videos

Here in the U.K Mike Outram is a superb player and has great lessons.
    http://www.mikeoutram.com/the-jewel-box/

For a modern style, I would avoid any lessons that involve playing old Jazz Standards like Satin Doll, Blue Bossa etc.
    GuyBoden said:
    Yeah, they're all good modern players, Tim Miller's stuff might be worth looking at, he's another top modern player.

For a modern style, I would avoid any lessons that involve playing old Jazz Standards like Satin Doll, Blue Bossa etc.
    Tim MIller has a book out with Mick Goodrick called Creative Chordal Harmony and it has a very modern system involving triads and rootless chords and all the demos are played over the changes to Stella. 
    GuyBoden said:

Tim MIller has a book out with Mick Goodrick called Creative Chordal Harmony and it has a very modern system involving triads and rootless chords and all the demos are played over the changes to Stella. 
    Yes, I bought the book a few years ago, it's not a good starting point if you don't really know Triads, Clusters (stacked 2nds/7ths) and 4ths.
    GuyBoden said:
    GuyBoden said:

Yes, I bought the book a few years ago, it's not a good starting point if you don't really know Triads, Clusters (stacked 2nds/7ths) and 4ths.

I too got it when it came out and couldn't work out the ideas behind it and gave up.  It seemed to be very complex.
    edited July 2015

I too got it when it came out and couldn't work out the ideas behind it and gave up.  It seemed to be very complex.
    The book seems to be a continuation of the harmony that is outlined in "The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick", which is the book that I'd recommend for all advancing guitarists. I'm continually having a look at the many ideas that are outlined in this book and I've had the book over 10 years.