SOLO of the Month #5 - Voting

What's Hot
Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month #5

Voting closes on the 31st of July at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 707
    Hats off to everyone - I couldn't get anything to work in that funny key change/odd chord bit (despite people's help!).

1st - @ChrisRG - Very chill and laid back, nice groove. Made me feel mellow and happy with life :D
    2nd - @Vasselmeyer - again good tone and groove. Felt it was a bit ahead of the beat at times though (but what do I know?). Liked the double stoped bits especially.
    3rd - @Kin - nice tone (could do with being a bit louder though (that didn't affect my scoring though), nice feel and fit with the groove.

Honorary mention : @MarkV nice playing, but I felt it was a bit too jazzy for the style of the song (for me at least :) )
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    1st - @Vasselmeyer ;
    2nd - @ChrisRG
    3rd - @Hobbio
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    5pts: @MarkV -  best tone of all the entries, nice solo, particularly the second half which is lovely
    3pts: @ChrisRG - nice tone again, great changes
    1pt: @Mudslide73 - lovely clean tone
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    5 points @ChrisRG - nicely jazzy and extra points for the idea of starting *before* the track, very cool.
    3 points @bingefeller - a cool main theme and very articulate playing. When I first heard the backing I didn't see how a driven tone would suit it but it does.
    1 point @mellowsun - excellent across the changes and some lovely ideas.

A tough call, lots of good entries this month. Looking forward to next month's already!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Right, I am going to go with:

1.@MarkV best tone for the track really liked the harmony section half way through
    2.@ChrisRG some nice playing, nice ideas and nice tone.
    3.@Bingefeller some nice playing and a good use of a distorted tone.

Thing that sticks out to me is how many people don't vary the sound as they go through. Was the same last month too, these things are quite long to have just one sound from start to finish, dynamics and tone variation seem to get passed over a lot, I just found them all a bit one dimensional in that respect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    5pts: @ChrisRG - Closest to what the track was calling out for. Octave section is inspired, great tone as well.
    3pts: @MarkV - Great feel and note selection. Great playing through the changes too.
    1pt:  @Vasselmeyer - Lovely choppy Marr-isms and some great variation.

Enjoyable stuff from everyone. I think the cleaner stuff is definitely closer to the feel of the track.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    5pts: @MarkV - I thought this track had great tone and the vibe sat really nicely with the backing.  I also thought it had an air of chilled effortlessness (if that's a word!) about it.  Great note choice throughout
    3pts: @Vasselmeyer - Great around the chord changes and it too had a great vibe.  The playing was accurate throughout and although I thought that a clean tone fitted the backing track better, the sound here was great.
    1pt: @mellowsun - Really good tone.  Reminded me a bit of Peter Green.  The melody at the half way point was really cool.

Really enjoyed listening to all the tracks and interesting to read people's feedback on them.
  • JajaerneJajaerne Frets: 0
    5pts: ChrisRG. Loved the octave section and the more staccato bits towards the end.
    3pts: Vasselmeyer. Very cool, man... :)
    1pts: MarkV. Nice mellow tone and note choice.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I suspect that the Cmaj7 after the Emaj was unusual for some people and I really enjoyed hearing so many other ideas around this progression. I still think I should have gone full-on fuzz to live out my inner Ernie Isley but the clean stuff was really cool. For me I'd vote as follows:

1. @Bingefeller Love the sustaining tone and an ear-catching opening lick
    2. @MarkV Cool tone and very mellow and laid-back. Like it.
    3. @ChrisRG Because this reminds my of The Style Council's "You're the Best Thing" which is one of my favourite tracks from the 1980s. Points by association!

To my shame this is the first contest I've listened to (had to go back and listen to the other months too, afterwards) and, by definition, the first one I've entered. Quite enjoyed it too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    1 @Vasselmeyer

Great work by all.
    This was my first attempt and really enjoyed that backing track.
  • Very difficult to choose, all are amazing entries.

5pts: @Mellowsun

3pts: @Bingefeller

1pt: @Vasselmeyer
    Old Is Gold
  • voting closed
    Old Is Gold