1 Chord Minor, 4 Chord Minor, 5 Chord Major??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    For the B - you could alternate/combine F#m or Bm and Bmaj pentatonics
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    Over this progression I would use E Aeolian over the Em and Am chords and then, over the B chord, I would probably be thinking about F# minor Dorian or F# whole tone if I wanted to get an outside sound.  
    I know what you guys mean about using F# dorian but if I see a Bmaj in the heat of the moment, the last thing my mind is going to do is compute that it's the 5th of Emaj so F# dorian would be good! In fact I'd go straight to B mixolydian and probably end up playing over the F# dorian anyway - same notes. In fact since B mixolydian starting on the A string is super-imposed over F# dorian (root on E string), that's EXACTLY what'd I'd be playing (unless I played the mixolydian shape starting from the E string). 

Maybe I'm not "there" yet. I definitely stick to major modes as much as I can for now. Maybe one day I'll incorporate others but I truly haven't 100% nailed the major modes/arps/pents in the "heat of the moment" situation.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744

thomasross20 said:

Maybe I'm not "there" yet. I definitely stick to major modes as much as I can for now. Maybe one day I'll incorporate others but I truly haven't 100% nailed the major modes/arps/pents in the "heat of the moment" situation.
    The basis of Major/minor music harmony is about hearing how each chord wants to pull to the tonic chord to be resolved.

There's seven tertiary chords built from a Major or minor scale, each chord has a different pull to the tonic chord, so these chords are used to build progressions that resolve to the tonic chord, that's basic Major/minor music harmonic theory in a nutshell.

As the cliche states "It's not rocket science", but it takes a lot of actual practice to hear/know the sounds.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Aren't those the essentially the Babooshka (Kate Bush) intro chords?

No that has a major chord on the IV.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Aren't those the essentially the Babooshka (Kate Bush) intro chords?

No that has a major chord on the IV.
    so it does.. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/595686/#Comment_595686
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?