Help from someone who understands electrickery

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3077
edited July 2015 in Making & Modding
Ok so Im putting Tele together with just a volume, standard bridge etc, don't ask why I just am OK?

So, in the absence of a tone pot, it wil be a bit too trebly, so, can I install a cap to tone it down a bit, if so, how?

Don't mind expeimentating with different value caps. My fave settong is with a 500 wotsit B pot with an .047 cap rolled off to about halfway..........

Thoughts?

The pink one got an all clear for a post Cancer treatment scan today, so we've got a bit squiffy, so this may make no sense at all........hic!

Paul
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8775
    If you don't want it on the face of the guitar why not hide the pot in the control cavity, then you can adjust it until you get the value right?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72691
    paulnb57 said:
    Don't mind expeimentating with different value caps. My fave settong is with a 500 wotsit B pot with an .047 cap rolled off to about halfway...
    That's exactly the same as a vintage 250K pot/.047uF cap up full. You can easily get the same effect with a 220K (or 240K, although they're harder to get) resistor and a .047uF cap in series.

But I would try it first without any of that since the difference between it and no tone control at all is fairly subtle. (Though not none.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3077
    Thanks chaps, tucking a pot inside the cavity makes sense, amazing clarity once sober!.......

Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    edited July 2015
    paulnb57 said:
    Thanks chaps, tucking a pot inside the cavity makes sense, amazing clarity once sober!.......

Paul

Glad to hear the good news about the scan.

:-bd