Spaceman Orion - a real spring reverb pedal?

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
Looks and sounds interesting, it's a bit big for a pedal but much smaller than a reverb tank normally.

But knowing it's Spaceman stuff, this will be ridiculously priced no doubt. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChéChé Frets: 305
    Checkout the Vanamps Sole Mate also.
  • Anyone played one ?
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited November 2016
    Not had a chance unfortunately!  I know @Lew  was seriously thinking of getting one
    @Wazmeister it looks like you can pick one up from guitarbox with their 10% discount for black Friday for £296 at the moment.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    I had a little spring reverb kit that I think I got from Maplins at least twenty years ago - the springs were about 2" long, from memory. The whole thing, including the PCB, jacks and a PP3 battery fitted in a Golden Virginia tobacco tin.

It sounded brilliantly terrible - when I later sold it on Ebay I described it as something like "hornets playing surf guitar in a tin dustbin at the bottom of a well and eating batteries for breakfast" - surprisingly it got bid up to about £25!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I have one on it's way @Wazmeister ;

@ICBM that's the sound hah! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited November 2016
    nickb_boy said:
    Not had a chance unfortunately!  I know @Lew  was seriously thinking of getting one
    @Wazmeister it looks like you can pick one up from guitarbox with their 10% discount for black Friday for £296 at the moment.  
    Saw the GuitarBox but decided against it... that chunk of money could go towards a small amp...

I actually fancy owning an amp with a Fender badge on it... maybe a Princeton. My new Gretsch sounded awesome thru one, and the controllable feedback was immense !
    It's not cheap for one reverb sound. Cheaper than the vintage tanks I was looking at though. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    Anyone played one ?
    I own one, very nice it is too. Sounds exactly as you'd expect a real spring reverb too, however it's not as lush as the Long tank found in a Princeton.... that's somewhat of an unfair comparison though. Pm me if you'd like to know more. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Anyone played one ?
    I own one, very nice it is too. Sounds exactly as you'd expect a real spring reverb too, however it's not as lush as the Long tank found in a Princeton.... that's somewhat of an unfair comparison though. Pm me if you'd like to know more. 
    You know Ade, thats quite a topical post....

I auditioned my (new) Gretsch through a humble Princeton and loved the sound and feel of it ! When I saw the Orion on offer online, i fancied one and thought that £300 is half the price of a used Princeton !!!

I may yet buy one of them there Fender amps...
  • I really looked hard at the Orion and also the Gurus Sinusoid. The orion seemed to come up short in terms of sound and by all acounts can be picky with PSU choice (although iirc that issue was fixed) the Sinusoid is just too expensive. Ended up getting a flint and losing the empress trem I already had. 

Would still love to try both those pedals out though.
    @Teetonetal no problems with Cioks DC10
  • @lew pleased to hear it. Love the concept. How are you liking the pedal?
    I'm very pleased with it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    $399...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Any chance of a more detailed review @lew ? :)
    edited December 2016
    I'm not especially good (or keen) at giving reviews @Wazmeister so here's a couple of phone quality clips to give ya a taste of it instead. 

It has a fair bit of boost available. About 60% is unity with my amp. An effective tone control and get's a fair bit wetter than I expected. It doesn't have much drip - it does have some on the cleaner settings but I don't think it would replace a die hard surfers 6G15. Lot's of splash.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @lew - thanks mate for taking the time to record those clips... it seems to like OD into it !

Dibs when you sell though ;)
    @Wazmeister no plans on selling it :+1:  Yea, working with fuzz is the acid test.
  • Snagged one today. Will go head to head - Empress Trem + Orion vs Flint... can only keep one option.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom