Albums with surprisingly good guitar playing

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I'm not thinking of albums with a regular guitar player, but more like albums where they got someone else in who lifted the material. The biggest I can think of is Bowies Let's dance - dance music combined with ripping blues solos from SRV. Any other albums with surprisingly good guitar playing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited July 2015
    Duane Allman for Layla & other assorted love songs. (I'm not normally a Clapton fan but the pair of them play out of their skins on this album).

For a single:
    Michael Jackson- Beat It (featuring EVH!) the solo is around the 3.00 mark.

(Honorable mention to Clapton on While My Guitar Gently Weeps).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rayza1983Rayza1983 Frets: 40

Check out anything by Nile Rodgers if you like Lets Dance, he's the master behind that track!

https://youtu.be/f-S_7X3NEmw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rayza1983Rayza1983 Frets: 40
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The two Level 42 albums they made after the Gould brothers left.
    - The first one, Staring At The Sun, has Alan Murphy doing the guitar, and is a fantastic album as a result.
    - The second one, Guaranteed, is much less successful as an album, but some songs are brilliant, and it has some magnificent playing by Allan Holdsworth on several of the tracks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Beth Orton - "Stolen Car"

Dunno who the guitar player is but I love that style.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    bigjon said:
    - The first one, Staring At The Sun, has Alan Murphy doing the guitar, and is a fantastic album as a result.
    - The second one, Guaranteed, is much less successful as an album, but some songs are brilliant, and it has some magnificent playing by Allan Holdsworth on several of the tracks.
    Care to link some of your favourite Level 42 Holdsworth and non-Holdsworth guitar solos @bigjon?  
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    bingefeller;726187" said:
    bigjon said:

Care to link some of your favourite Level 42 Holdsworth and non-Holdsworth guitar solos @bigjon?  
    - For Alan Murphy, see the thread at
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4097/in-memoriam-alan-murphy-died-19-october-1989/p1
    - For Holdsworth, here's Kinder Eye by Level 42 (with Allan Holdsworth outro solo at 4:28)
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    This probably doesn't count because he IS a fantastic guitarist, but any Nik Kershaw album.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    This probably doesn't count because he IS a fantastic guitarist, but any Nik Kershaw album.
    Any examples?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3049
    Grunfeld said:

Ben Harper
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2015
    I think it's James Burton playing this - the guitar part is quite quiet but you can hear it (panned hard right), and it's killer.

For some reason I always hear it more clearly in the second verse - from 1:00.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    viz said:
    Any examples?

Try the solo in Roses @bingefeller
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    viz said:
    Any examples?

Try the solo in Roses @bingefeller
    Had a listen, good playing but not my kinda thing unfortunately.  :(
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    2 X Jellyfish albums, Crowded House, Squeeze, Police and the debut album by a band called Animal Logic (Stewart Copeland on drums, Stanley Clarke on bass and N.Y. and L.A.session guitarist Michael Thompson all backing a singer-songwriter whose name escapes me). Superb guitar sounds, parts and textures.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Here's a left field one

Proclaimers- Sunshine on Leith with the sublime Jerry Donaghue on guitar.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2015
    Kebabkid said:
    2 X Jellyfish albums, Crowded House, Squeeze, Police and the debut album by a band called Animal Logic (Stewart Copeland on drums, Stanley Clarke on bass and N.Y. and L.A.session guitarist Michael Thompson all backing a singer-songwriter whose name escapes me). Superb guitar sounds, parts and textures.
    Coss- I would push back on that on the basis I EXPECT Summers and Tilbrook to be brilliant- cos they're just are!

• Grunfeld;722107" said:

Loved Beth Orton since she first appeared around 1996/97. Bert Jansch gave her guitar lessons. Can you imagine having guitar lessons from Bert Jansch.
    Anything by Norah Jones with the incredible Adam Levy. He is superb.

Anything by Lenny Kravitz (who can hardly play a note) when Craig Ross lets rip- he is truly one of my faves ever and the pnly man at 55 that looks cool in leather jeans.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Nice playing on the Leonard Cohen 'Live at the O2' album.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    edited August 2015
     Al Stewart uses good players.

Jimmy Page on Love Chronicles

Tim Renwick on Modern Times