read about this modification in Guitar and Bass....

ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
edited July 2015 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
So i have to admit I'm not really a strat man -or at least i wasn't for the longest time. anyway, i got my classic player stratocaster from Guitar Village and have been slowly tweaking it to taste.... this is the latest tweak.

I fitted an aluminium shield behind the scratch plate., as recommended in Guitar and Bass magazine. Cheers @ChrisV

Now the guitar has much less singlecoil hum (to be expected) but more impressive is that the harsh edge of the guitar has gone. its warmer, smoother and more refined.

Still sounds like a strat though which is nice. £9.99 well spent

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I do the same thing to all my strats using kitchen foil. Probably doesn't have as dramatic effect tonally but cuts down on the hum a decent amount. :-)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    I do the same thing to all my strats using kitchen foil. Probably doesn't have as dramatic effect tonally but cuts down on the hum a decent amount. :-)
    im not refined enough to get the foil to stay in one piece.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Contact spray adhesive and a credit card to smooth it flat :-)
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    It's Huw Price who deserves the thanks, @thorpy6, he's the DIY genius :-)
    tFB Trader
    chrisv said:
    It's Huw Price who deserves the thanks, @thorpy6, he's the DIY genius :-)

please pass on my thanks, I'm very happy and hadn't even considered this before
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    Will do!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Is that the self adhesive type or the slightly thicker loose aluminium plate?
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras;722570" said:
    Is that the self adhesive type or the slightly thicker loose aluminium plate?
    It's the loose 0.4mm thick plate. It's hidden well by the scratch plate though