The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Hooray!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Win's a win. I'll take it. A team has to know how to put a game to bed. LOL. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Refs have a lot to answer to regarding scrums, scrum half not bothering to put ball in, you can't expect 16 guys to stand still waiting for ball. Pretty poor here by ref not allowing a contest.

Jacksons scrum reffing has been poor, lottery every time, he's penalised both teams for early engagements as well as giving free kicks for the same offence, wtf is that about.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• What is the fucking point !
    Don't worry... we'll be back to being shite before you know it. :)
    Dropped every maul, yet hardly a penalty.

Dissapointiing reffing that. Dropped 2 mauls on the line and get a scrum.....

Pleased for Scotland. France are shit, England will beat them comfortably, the bastards.

• IRB really needs to look at standard of reffing. Biggest difference between north and south, cynical cheating gets rewarded up north, wanting to play the ball is not!
  • Hogg afraid to say reffing is the difference.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If France would do what England did (get a decent foreign coach in) they would be a much better team. I can see England dominating results for a few good years now. Wales too stale, Ireland similar, France have another crazy man in charge, Italy and Scotland don't have the players.

• lloyd said:
    What's he trying to do with his hand though? There's no reason to be doing that with his arm or crooking his hand. His arm doesn't need to be where it is. He rips his fingers back as he makes contact which is telling. I'm not sure if you're seeing it different because he's Welsh but you're way off Kone.

Got nothing to do with being Welsh, will take another look at video, but to me his head is not looking at face, and it looks like he has gone in with right shoulder, so to suddenly be a gouge, I think is uncalled for on evidence that I have seen. Ashton to me didn't gouge anyone yet he made contact with eye area. I was not calling for him to be banned. I think anyone gouging should be banned from the game for life, not weeks.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    lloyd said:
    Here's a link of Marler calling Lee "gypsy boy" he's a traveller. Hope he gets a ban for this, there would be uproar if he called Faletau "nigger boy" no need for that.
    Seemingly, the DCLG ruled in 2009, that if you owned or rented permanent property you were no longer a gypsy.

And, by the same token, I hope all players who calls us Poms or any version thereof are banned too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

IRB really needs to look at standard of reffing. Biggest difference between north and south, cynical cheating gets rewarded up north, wanting to play the ball is not!
    Taff-

We had 2 SH refs out of 3 this weekend!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Re Francis,

I think it was reckless rather than totally malicious.

I reckon he'll get a small ban, told to watch where he puts in hands, and that's the end of it.

Marler may get a couple off for his forearm smash on Evans.

Re the game- the key was how flat we played to prevent the Welsh blitz- I have never seen a side go around Wales' on the wide so often and so easily, which was down to the flatness of our starting point.

Samson Lee has spoken out.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    lloyd said:
    Here's a link of Marler calling Lee "gypsy boy" he's a traveller. Hope he gets a ban for this, there would be uproar if he called Faletau "nigger boy" no need for that.
    Seemingly, the DCLG ruled in 2009, that if you owned or rented permanent property you were no longer a gypsy.

And, by the same token, I hope all players who calls us Poms or any version thereof are banned too.

There's no need for that type of thing on an international rugby field. He's using his heritage in a derogatory manner to wind him up....I'm all for wind ups and pushing people but not like that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Gassage;1002668" said:
    Re Francis,

I think it was reckless rather than totally malicious.

I reckon he'll get a small ban, told to watch where he puts in hands, and that's the end of it.

Marler may get a couple off for his forearm smash on Evans.

Re the game- the key was how flat we played to prevent the Welsh blitz- I have never seen a side go around Wales' on the wide so often and so easily, which was down to the flatness of our starting point.
    Exactly, which is why playing Ford - despite the fact that he is not in top form - made a lot of sense. Few English fly halves are happy playing as flat as he is. We used the blind side well also, which often took the point of contact away from Wales' heavy midfield traffic.

Big surprise was the breakdown. Wales were off the boil, but England finally seem to be developing some skills and nous here. Jones' opinion seems to be that if you don't have a 7, then look at who you do have. Lots of players with a lot of different shirt numbers did great work for England at the breakdown, not least Itoje.
    lloyd said:
    Gassage said:
    lloyd said:

There's no need for that type of thing on an international rugby field. He's using his heritage in a derogatory manner to wind him up....I'm all for wind ups and pushing people but not like that.
    A serious question- putting Marler aside, how is it worse than Aussies calling us (incl you lot) Pommie cunts etc?

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Re the TMO, it used to be quite exciting when a decision was referred but the novelty has thoroughly worn off over the years. We are now at a point where rugby is a sort of dystopian microcosm of the total surveillance society, and it is deeply tedious and unhelpful.

What do we think to pulling TMO use back to some thing more like cricket or American football - on appeal only, and then only once or twice per team per match. Otherwise it only happens if the ref sees it.

Overuse is now leading to actively bad decisions. We've had two or three occasions where a big lad is lying on top of a rugby ball 5 yards over the try line and it is no try cos the camera can't see the ball!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    kjdowd said:
    Re the TMO, it used to be quite exciting when a decision was referred but the novelty has thoroughly worn off over the years. We are now at a point where rugby is a sort of dystopian microcosm of the total surveillance society, and it is deeply tedious and unhelpful.

What do we think to pulling TMO use back to some thing more like cricket or American football - on appeal only, and then only once or twice per team per match. Otherwise it only happens if the ref sees it.

Overuse is now leading to actively bad decisions. We've had two or three occasions where a big lad is lying on top of a rugby ball 5 yards over the try line and it is no try cos the camera can't see the ball!
    In my view it will get worse as younger referees who've only ever known the TMO enter the International scene. Too afraid to make their own decisions.