The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Will be interesting to see how Wales actually attack after Alex King has joined the coaching staff. 
    Never thought I would see the day an English man would coach Wales how to be creative? But it shows how far we have fallen, no offence to England, as a Welsh head coach I would love to have Steve Borthwick, Jason Leonard or the like to help our line out or scrum but to show our fly half how to play? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Will be interesting to see how Wales actually attack after Alex King has joined the coaching staff. 
    Never thought I would see the day an English man would coach Wales how to be creative? But it shows how far we have fallen, no offence to England, as a Welsh head coach I would love to have Steve Borthwick, Jason Leonard or the like to help our line out or scrum but to show our fly half how to play? 
    Alex King's nickname...

"Wan".

Utterly true.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Re Eng France; hardly an unexpected showing from France; if it wasn't for one Beauden Barrett intercept they'd have beaten the All Blacks.

Eddie was very engaging post match and said he blamed himself. He also thought the back row lacked weight on the gainline- Haskell changed that for 20 mins. He was in great humour yet again.

Very good side; Gourdon and Picamoles were brilliant today- Gourdon reminds me of the greatest of them all, Richard Hill.

Scott Spedding is also a very high quality player.

I reckon you will see The Brand back and also I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Brown got chopped for Daly. Jones wants him at 15.

• Gassage said:

I reckon you will see The Brand back and also I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Brown got chopped for Daly. Jones wants him at 15.
    I thought Angry Mike was pretty much anonymous today. Yes, he was pretty reliable under the high ball, and he ran it back a few times, but I can't get over the fact that he always slows right down before the contact. There are a couple of times in every match where he had at least a 50/50 chance of breaking the tackle if he just committed to it; instead, he sees a tackler in his way and just lies down for him.

Definitely need some new blood in at full-back.
    <space for hire>
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Gassage said:
    Re Eng France; hardly an unexpected showing from France; if it wasn't for one Beauden Barrett intercept they'd have beaten the All Blacks.

Eddie was very engaging post match and said he blamed himself. He also thought the back row lacked weight on the gainline- Haskell changed that for 20 mins. He was in great humour yet again.

Very good side; Gourdon and Picamoles were brilliant today- Gourdon reminds me of the greatest of them all, Richard Hill.

Scott Spedding is also a very high quality player.

A fair analysis. Wood struggled out of position (I'm not sure 6 is the best use of Itoje either) and we missed the big lads, both carrying and tackling. Haskell was stupendous when he came on, but equally so was Te'o, and Care ( and Mullens). The scrum was certainly steadier after the changes.

Also thought he back three - despite moments of inspiration - was unbalanced. Our kick chase was a bit off, and that let some half decent tactical kicking down.

All that said, France played well - picamoles outstanding. Agree that Brown will prob go - Nowells back and Daly across to 15. 
    @kjdowd

Wood is and always has been primarily an openside. Certainly for Worcester and Saints.

Gassage said:
    @kjdowd

Wood is and always has been primarily an openside. Certainly for Worcester and Saints.
    Interesting. I've not seen an awful lot of him at club level as it goes, certainly not live. Hooper, McCaw or 6.5?
    kjdowd said:
    Gassage said:
    @kjdowd

Interesting. I've not seen an awful lot of him at club level as it goes, certainly not live. Hooper, McCaw or 6.5?
    Also, @gassage, did you see Eddie's comments on playing left and right flankers? That took me back a few years...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24454
    Heh!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2777
    I thought we missed Robshaw

daly should have scored that try - his body position was poor for a finisher

i think the other world rugby teams would love to see us getting rid of a top performer in Brown for a bit of a rough diamond wonder kid with limited experience just for a big boot.
    i don't think he's a better full back yet.

It's good to have choice however. For example every time Youngs has a bit of a quiet game, Care comes on and snaps at his heels. Could see Care in for the next game, if only to keep them both eager.

kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:
    Gassage said:
    @kjdowd

Also, @gassage, did you see Eddie's comments on playing left and right flankers? That took me back a few years...
    I didn't- what did he say?

Gassage said:
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:
    Gassage said:
    @kjdowd

In essence that - unless you happen to have been gifted a Hooper or a McCaw - you're as well to play left and right flankers rather than open/blind as roles get blurred after a few phases anyway. Article here:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/oct/01/eddie-jones-maro-itoje-england-autumn-internationals?client=safari
  • I thought back row wasn't light but just unbalanced, never been impressed with Wood. With Itoje you need to be able to fit him in team, leave him at 6 I think he will develope into your best 6 ever given time, he has to be in the squad. When Kruis and Launchbury are at their best they offer a better partnership, Itoje is someone special to let loose, plus he is a great rear jumper with that explosive power. 
    I have never been a fan of Brown, he gives it his all, but Daly will look for space and use ball more wisely, and as a last line of defence kicking the ball out it will go miles. 
    Farrell for me is the one person I feel I was wrong about, I think he has improved far more than just being a good kicker. His distribution skills and awareness are growing with the team. Long as he can control the angry kid inside he can be an England great for years to come. 
    As for other match, well the Irish conned the ref for majority of the game at scrum time so I am glad Scotland got the win they deserved. I hope this is now a chance for them to gain belief in themselves and go forward. Much as I want to see my Wales beat Scotland, it gave me no pleasure sitting amongst the scots a couple of years ago and Hogg was rightly red carded and they were then Hammered. Some of the Scottish supporters are best guys in the world but I feel for them as Wales were like that in the 80's always snatching defeat from the jaws if victory. 
    kjdowd said:
    Gassage said:
    kjdowd said:
    kjdowd said:
    Gassage said:
    @kjdowd

In essence that - unless you happen to have been gifted a Hooper or a McCaw - you're as well to play left and right flankers rather than open/blind as roles get blurred after a few phases anyway. Article here:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/oct/01/eddie-jones-maro-itoje-england-autumn-internationals?client=safari
    This is more accurate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr Hill. Simply the best
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    The sooner we dump Ben Youngzzzzzzz the better. He has the dynamism of a slug.
    edited February 2017
    Mr Hill. Simply the best
    I am proud to call him my best mate within the game. My fishing partner and I can honestly say there's no-one I respect more in my life. Literally, the nicest bloke in the sport.

This was our trip to Christchurch recently.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Mr Hill. Simply the best
    I am proud to call him my best mate within the game. My fishing partner and I can honestly say there's no-one I respect more in my life. Literally, the nicest bloke in the sport.

Bet he didnt need a rod either.  He just went in the water and it came out.  Like the ball did.
    Gassage said:
    Mr Hill. Simply the best

Bet he didnt need a rod either.  He just went in the water and it came out.  Like the ball did.
    Yes, but when he went in it must have been very shallow as he walked on the surface forever...

• Haha!!