Last batch of Zep RIs out tomorrow

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
PSA just in case anyone interested but missed it.

Personally won't get Presence or ITTOD but Coda is the biggie for me: fully expanded so you get a few alternate mixes of the existing tracks but lots of unreleased/ uncollected stuff.

Off to a record shop tomorrow then.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one, I had actually forgotten to pre order these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @not_the_dj Well I managed to get to a record shop and I've had a quick listen to bits.

Sounding great. Wearing and Tearing and the other ITTOD takes sound great. They really had a cracking room to record in there. Thor couldn't make a more glorious racket than Bonzo

Well worth the money.
    I've got them ordered from the big shop up the river, so Mr Postie will be bringing them early next week.

I could give them a virtual spin via their online autorip thingy, but I like my first listen to be a proper experience so I'll wait for that.
    Awww mate you've got a treat coming. There's this early version of Levee Breaks that sounds like a Stax record.

Coda's really come of age as an album.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    are any of the RIs worth buying?
    tae be or not tae be
    @hootsmon

To be honest Coda is the only one I've bought because it's got significantly more 'new' stuff.

Have heard the rest on Spotify. I like the sound quality but I'm not too fussed about alternate mixes etc (excepting Led Zep iv where they are different to my ears).

I liked the bonus disc of them live in 69 for LZ i. Great live band but extra special, raw and funky when they were fresh.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    That alternate version of Levee is great.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3090
    Sheeet there's some killer stuff on Coda.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    I've actually never listened to the last 3 Zep records. I saw the knebworth footage on the DVD they release 10 or so years ago and didn't fancy them. Are they actually any good?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3090
    I'm somewhat of a fan.. but Presence, ittod and Coda aren't in the same league as 1,2,3,4 etc.

I very much like Presence but it's an acquired taste imo. Very guitar driven but quite clean sounding. The rhythm section has some stellar moments on Achilles last stand, and Candy Store Rock.

Ittod has a lot of keyboard driven stuff (due to Jimmy's off field problems) so it's again an acquired taste. Some Z list filler but has a great drum sound throughout.

Coda has a cross section of material from their whole career so it's good but doesn't really flow as an album.. the new bonus version has some very tasty outtakes though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

@stickfiddle

Worth hearing them on Spotify just to say you've heard them.

ITTOD has some real tripe on it, but if you drop them and drop in the songs off the sessions that were put on Coda you get a stronger album.

But this reissued Coda is great stuff.
  • Achilles Last Stand is one of my favourite songs. Bonham's performance on it is astonishing.  If you've not listened to Presence you should give it a go.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009

My copies just arrived.

I must confess to being childishly excited that In Through The Out Door comes in a brown paper bag like my original LP.  I'm assuming the inner sleeve doesn't have magic water colours though...?

Philly_Q said:

My copies just arrived.

I must confess to being childishly excited that In Through The Out Door comes in a brown paper bag like my original LP.  I'm assuming the inner sleeve doesn't have magic water colours though...?

It is neat packaging, I love the paper bag....I haven't tried the water yet!
    This is awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    OK. I own all the LZ albums with the exception of CODA. Just the standard, remastered studio albums on CD. I love them all. Do I need CODA, or, do I need any of the RIs? And as I don't have CODA at all, should I forego the standard album and buy the expanded RI and enjoy a pure LZ pleasure experience in my lounge room on a day off when the wife is out at of the house? Lol
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/