Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Well, that's one way to lower the action.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    octatonic said:
    Sassafras said:
    Normally, I defend his unique skills because I've got a soft spot for eccentric characters but I think he's obviously been under a lot of pressure to produce something truly gruesome.
    He's not an eccentric though, is he.

The world is full of people who, like him, find a skill too much like hard work to master, so instead of admitting defeat or working harder, they decide that centuries of developed wisdom must somehow be wrong and cobble together their own laughably idiotic approach, and defend it by spouting as much bullshit as they can muster.

That's not eccentricity, that's a combination of arrogance and stupidity.

This has been my take on it all along. I haven't decided if he is dishonest or a fool to himself in how he justifies his approach.

Look, I'm not one to tell people how to run their businesses but I would make the suggestion that when you launch Richmond Phillips Guitars that you do the nuts and bridges and leave Mark to do the marketing and modelling because clearly he has some miraculous ability in that department.
    Are you suggesting I'll play the Woz to his Jobs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Where can I get one of these Eric Clapton signature wood blocks?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I think the problem stems from his unique take on action: don't lower the strings, raise the rest of the guitar up to them instead
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Apologies for posting this (and I won't name any names, we all know who's responsible) but I can't stop looking at this:

That jonathan @felineguitars again, I am assuming?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22177
    Looking at that auction, he does seem to have quite a well equipped workshop now. That makes the end result even sadder. It's like watching a guy go out and buy a whole new kitchen, water bath for sous vide, beautiful knives, all the kit, only for him to serve up Super Noodles. That he's burnt. 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    He takes pretty decent photos too. So at least you know what you're getting.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    Gassage;726991" said:
    thermionic said:

Apologies for posting this (and I won't name any names, we all know who's responsible) but I can't stop looking at this:

That jonathan @felineguitars again, I am assuming?

Cheeky!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited August 2015

It is kind of weird that he would choose to post a close-up picture of that saddle / bridge abomination. He either truly does believe that the acknowledged correct way to do things is just needless luthier snobbery, or he is on the wind-up!

That picture makes me sad! :-(

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    A friend of mine had a 'professional' set up of a strat done, this was years ago, and he got the 'tech' to replace the guitar after decimating it. 

To lower the action, he had cut slots in the saddles so deep that there was less than 2mm of space to the bottom. I assume he then realised he set it too low, and proceeded to fill the slots with polyfilla. He also managed to create huge scratches on the finish. I won't say who it is, as I assume they have either improved or gone out of buisness.
  • Apologies for posting this (and I won't name any names, we all know who's responsible) but I can't stop looking at this:

Believe it or not I have actually seen far worse things than this done to guitars by both 'professionals' and hobbyists.
    Custom guitars & guitar competitions
    http://www.guitarworkz.co.uk
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think, as @ICBM said, he does things better now.  I got the impression MDP took some reluctant advice when he was on here the last time.  He should come back to the forum here because he could learn an hell of a lot.  
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    I think, as @ICBM said, he does things better now.  I got the impression MDP took some reluctant advice when he was on here the last time.  He should come back to the forum here because he could learn an hell of a lot.  
    Look at his eBay listings. That's not the work of a man who takes advice from anyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dagga36Dagga36 Frets: 11
    He's a nutter!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    Thread like this makes me want a sticky of "guitar techs" to avoid...
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    What's sad, is in the time it must have taken to cut the slots and gouge out parts of the bridge to make it all work, he could have lowered the saddle?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Gru said:
    What's sad, is in the time it must have taken to cut the slots and gouge out parts of the bridge to make it all work, he could have lowered the saddle?
    That's true of a lot of bodges - actually more work than doing it right in the first place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• He probably needs the slots to force the necessary string spacing
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader

He's put Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys on it. Which are gauge 10. Electric strings.

I think this is the nicest guitar I have converted from seven string to six; true the Floyd Rose trem presented me with a new departure in conversion, and I had to straighten the base plate then drill the additional seven string bridge so the internal string block screws can travel through to hold the new bridge onto the Floyd Rose base plate.
    Then of course I converted the new seven string bridge to six strings.

Inside the Floyd string block is attached to the earth-plate by just a single trem spring to earth out any static crackle to the strings that might occur; but for better sustain and tuning stability I have made the bridge solid with an Eric Clapton wood block behind the string block.

perhaps in a few days as it settles in I might come back up a gnat's cock for enhanced clarity on some notes.

:D

I'm loving the 6 String Bridge nailed to a 7 String Trem idea :) Where did we go wrong!! 
    Sausage in a Wheelie Bin approach to lining up of polepieces and strings!!

Now I have to go downstairs to fetch a cloth to clean the screen of the coffee i've just spat out when the pic came into view. Truly outstanding work :)
  • DrADrA Frets: 1
    Seriously! Who is this guy? This is all a sick joke right? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    I do love a Cleartone Conversion or two.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.