Shielding a Tele - what's actually sensible/necessary?

What's Hot
As the subject really - assembling a Tele from parts, is it advisable to paint the cavities with shielding paint ?

Scratchplate shield?

T'internet seems to have many views on the subject

thanks 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72692
    TimmyO said:
    As the subject really - assembling a Tele from parts, is it advisable to paint the cavities with shielding paint ?
    Yes.

TimmyO said:
    Scratchplate shield?
    No.

The Tele is actually reasonably well-shielded - better than the Strat, anyway - by the control plate, bridge, bridge pickup baseplate and neck pickup cover. Shielding the cavities (making sure the paint goes into the jack tunnel) will cover everything else apart from the wiring channel to the neck pickup. If you tightly twist the neck pickup wires that will help a lot - don't use shielded cable, that will muddy the tone.

Remember that the shielding paint in the neck pickup cavity needs to be connected to the ground too, or it won't do anything! Just connect it to the pickup ground - you don't need an extra wire from the control cavity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7580
    Thanks

So just attach the neck pickup ground to the neck pickup cavity (painted) and make sure there is paint continuity from control cavity to neck pickup cavity? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    So just attach the neck pickup ground to the neck pickup cavity (painted) and make sure there is paint continuity from control cavity to neck pickup cavity? 
    You won't be able to get paint continuity from one cavity to the other unless it has an open wiring channel, that's why you need to connect the neck pickup cavity to the neck pickup ground. If it does have an open channel and you can make the paint continuous you don't want the extra connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm probably being slow but I don't follow.

If the neck pickup has 3 conductors, the ground one will attach in the control cavity to a ground there - so what shjould attach to what to ground the neck pickup cavity ? 

Thanks for the help :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    The same one that's connected to the ground in the control cavity needs to be connected to the shielding in the pickup cavity as well as to the pickup cover, otherwise the shielding won't be grounded and thus will do nothing.

Ah right I get it - attach the same wire in 2 places. Ta. 
    Red ones are better.