People that know how to assemble a stratocaster... where have I gone wrong?

What's Hot
Ayup,

So a couple of years ago, I stripped a strat down - now I'm trying to put it all back together, I find I'm missing some screws and I'm not sure what a couple of parts are...

So! First question, I need to buy some more scratch plate/back plate screws. Does anyone know what size I need or shall I just be sucker and get some proper Fender ones? I'm sure somewhere online will do the equivalent screws for less money.

Next question - the entire guitar is almost put back together. However, I have 3 parts left over and I don't know what they do...

I assume the 2 rings are something to do with the volume/tone pots? Yes? If so, I'm missing one! Where do they belong? How do I put them back? I'll be buggered if I know where that screw goes!

On my need list is...

8 x scratch plate screws
1 x ring thing?
1 x pickup adjustment spring thing

If anyone can direct me where I can buy these parts or anyone could help - I'd appreciate it!

HELP!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Axesrus at a guess?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    The serrated rings are the grip washers from the controls, yes - most likely the third one is still in place having remained stuck to the pickguard - see if any of the knobs sits tighter to the guard than the others. You need to undo the pots to fit them, they go between the pot and the pickguard. (Not between the nut and the pickguard.)

That screw doesn't correspond with anything you should normally find in a Strat though! Too long for a pickguard screw (which don't have a half plain shaft either), too small for a strap button. If it's not a Fender it could be a pickguard, jack socket plate or backplate screw, some copies use ones like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The serrated rings are the grip washers from the controls, yes - most likely the third one is still in place having remained stuck to the pickguard - see if any of the knobs sits tighter to the guard than the others. You need to undo the pots to fit them, they go between the pot and the pickguard. (Not between the nut and the pickguard.)

That screw doesn't correspond with anything you should normally find in a Strat though! Too long for a pickguard screw (which don't have a half plain shaft either), too small for a strap button. If it's not a Fender it could be a pickguard, jack socket plate or backplate screw, some copies use ones like that.
    As for the rings - As I suspected! Thank you! Will put them in place now!

As for the other screw, I really don't know. It was with my bag of parts for that guitar (when I strip something down, I put all the parts in one freezer bag and seal it). It absolutely has to have come from this guitar (Which is a 50th anniversary Mexican Fender). However, I can't find where it should go as there aren't any more holes to put it. The top of it is stripped anyway so I'll just write it off! Thanks for your help!
    I noticed the stripped head too. Maybe something random that was stuck to one of the pickup magnets from a previous owner's work? Or picked up from your bench?

Definitely doesn't belong to a Mexican Fender I don't think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5542
    Looks like a trem claw plate screw, but too short. Did you snap one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    DiscoStu said:
    This!
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    String tree screw!

Amirite?
    DiscoStu said:
    No, it's WAY too small for that. The head size is only the same as a pickguard screw, which makes it no more than 3/4" long.

timhulio said:
    String tree screw!
    Those are dome head, not countersunk.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Is it the screw that secures the earth wiring to the body under the pickguard ?

• All good guesses... however, as all the other screws mentioned are in place - I think the best guess is...

ICBM said:
    I noticed the stripped head too. Maybe something random that was stuck to one of the pickup magnets from a previous owner's work? Or picked up from your bench?
    Nice work @ICBM

Here's a finished assembly shot - will get it setup properly tonight!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    That looks nice @Panama_Jack666 ; :)
  • That looks nice @Panama_Jack666 ; :)
    Cheers! I rescued it from my work. Found it lying behind a stage in a damp cardboard box. It's got quite a few signs of a busy life - and it had been neglected for at least 5 years when I found it!

Still - 50th anniversary and it cost me nowt. Bargain! (I did donate some money to a charity at the time lieu of payment for the guitar). It's a great colour - I wasn't keen at first but it's grown on me!

Also got a drum kit, two amps, a keyboard and a bass guitar as a part of the haul. They were literally going to throw the lot in a skip?! All pretty good quality stuff apart from the bass which is a copy.

Anyway! I may have a few more questions over the following days now I'm setting it up. I've bought some more screws and springs for the pickups as they seem to sit very high at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you haven't already, have the amps checked over *before* you plug them in, if they've been sitting in the damp for five years. Don't be tempted to "just see if they work", if you can avoid it. 99% of the time you'll get away with it, 1% you blow up something that would have been salvageable if you hadn't… and that's for modern tat, the proportions get worse the more vintage/valuable the gear :).

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Gah!

You could have had the screws from me for being so lovely about the scratchplate.

Need anything else, give me a shout first!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;728287" said:
    If you haven't already, have the amps checked over *before* you plug them in, if they've been sitting in the damp for five years. Don't be tempted to "just see if they work", if you can avoid it. 99% of the time you'll get away with it, 1% you blow up something that would have been salvageable if you hadn't… and that's for modern tat, the proportions get worse the more vintage/valuable the gear :).
    Ah yeah! I had it checked over and setup when I first obtained it! However, borrowed the neck off it for a Rory Gallagher project. So I thought I'd learn about setting up a strat at the same time by stripping it down!

Cheers for the heads up though! Useful to know for the future!
  • streethawk;728321" said:
    Gah!

You could have had the screws from me for being so lovely about the scratchplate.

Ha! Thanks man!

Us regulars have to look after each other! I had some generosity from another forumite recently so just sharing the love!

It's on its way via snail mail by the way! Was a bit delayed but got it in the post this eve!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    streethawk;728321" said:
    Gah!

Ha! Thanks man!

Us regulars have to look after each other! I had some generosity from another forumite recently so just sharing the love!

It's on its way via snail mail by the way! Was a bit delayed but got it in the post this eve!

:)