Stupid wiring

grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
edited August 2015 in Guitar
So yesterday I spent some time cleaning up a cheap squire strat as I love the way it plays and installed a new bridge pickup.
Wired new pickup as per manufacturers instructions(dimarzio), pickup that came out have one wire to switch the rest to ground so I wired mine red to the same point on the switch black white together, green and braid to ground.

Simples right? Except now the bridge sounds out of phase and the neck does too and only the middle position sound like the neck? Wtf?
I've done things wrong somewhere but it all looks right, help please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimboflojojimboflojo Frets: 122
    I'm no expert but have a similar problem with a strat I need to sort, doing a bit of research I hear that swapping the wires round on the middle pickup might do the trick i.e if black is hot and white is ground then resolder them so that black goes to ground instead
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Fender / Squire are generally the reverse of everyone else.  Swap the ground and hot wire and see if that is better.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Swap the red and green.

The neck pickup shouldn't be affected if you haven't swapped that, it must just be an illusion caused by the bridge pickup - or you've damaged the wiring, that can make a pickup sound very thin. Check the ground connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    edited August 2015
    Thanks all will check and report back, really appreciate you taking the time to reply on a Sunday.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Where else would we be? :)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Just wanted to update that thanks to @icbm swapping the red and green sorted all the issues out, cheers bud.