Alice In Chains - Dirt

What's Hot
XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
I've had this for a few years but it was 'Trapped' inside iTunes. Just picked it up on vinyl and have been heavily spinning it for the last couple of weeks. Really impressed all over again with it, a heavy heavy beast lyrically and quite downbeat but with a few moments of optimism. I'm not normally into such downbeat stuff but Dirt i think is glorious in its depravity.

I don't have any other AIC as I was always led to beleive this was them at their peak of their powers, but I've seen Jar Of Flies and Sap combined on to one LP which I gather bookends Dirt. Can anyone say if it's worth a listen?
And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yes, Jar of Flies/Sap (and the MTV Unplugged set) are my favourite Alice in Chains releases.

More acoustic and stripped back, but I think that suits them brilliantly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Thanks mate. I think I'll pick it up next time I see it - I've heard Got Me Wrong a few times on Planet Rock and I like it. Layne is underrated as a vocalist - what a voice he had!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Two of the best tracks from "Jar.."

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I really like their newest album, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here.

I have all of the albums. But I really like The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here from the DuVall era, and if I had to pick from the Staley era, I'd go for Facelift. Dirt is a fantastic album though. All of their albums stand up on their own as classics.

I saw them live... a year and a bit ago, actually. They're SO tight as a live band. Easily one of the best live bands I've ever seen (live sound wise) they nail every vocal melody, every vocal harmony between DuVall and Cantrell is pitch-perfect and on-cue, they spare nothing in the quality of the music they play live. They don't have the most energetic live show ever but from where I was sat everything was almost as good as listening to the record pretty much - flawless.

Great band with the original singer, still a great band without him. They couldn't have found a better replacement IMO. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Black gives way to blue is excellent as well. It's always a good day when you see AIC live
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Them bones is a great track ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5537
    I love Dirt, it still gets heavy play in my car.
    I wasn't a fan of the self-titled follow up, but I liked what I heard of 'Black Gives Way To Blue'. The new singer is eerily close to Layne.

Must give the new stuff a spin.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Cantrell's solo album Degradation Trip is really good as well. Dark, but so groovy; his rhythm playing is ridiculous.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Would heartily recommend any of the AIC albums, definitely worth a punt!

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Alice in Chains can do no wrong. Not an album of theirs I dislike. Jar of Flies is definitely my favourite work of theirs though. 

Actually, fuck this - I'm going to have an AIC afternoon in the office. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5537
    joneve said:
    Alice in Chains can do no wrong. Not an album of theirs I dislike. Jar of Flies is definitely my favourite work of theirs though. 

I'm downloading the two new ones and doing the same! 
    DiscoStu said:
    joneve said:

I'm downloading the two new ones and doing the same! 
    I've got Black Gives Way To Blue (which is solid), but haven't heard the latest yet - I'm working my way through from Facelift all the way up! 

If anyone wants to be really nerdy, their "Music Bank" three disc set that they released with loads of B-sides and demos.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    Dirt is amazing but I listen to Facelift more.
    octatonic said:
    Dirt is amazing but I listen to Facelift more.
    This probably applies to me also. But Jar of Flies get the most plays. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    I have Dirt and Facelift. Both are amazing albums and I often swap and change my mind which I prefer the most.  I should listen to their other stuff too, really.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Yup, Dirt is still a fave of mine - great album and their peak imo. Jar Of Flies / Sap also great (Nutshell has my vote for best track)

I don't mind their newer stuff but it's a tad samey now. Saw them at Download last year and they sound killer live
    All practice and no theory
  • Amazing record... +1 for the Jerry C solo stuff too.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited August 2015
    Arguably my favourite album of ALL time.

Definitely in Top 3 without a doubt.

Not a duff track on it (well, apart from that 40 second long wall of noise). Then again I love all of Staley-era AIC but this is their magnificent octopus.

Can't get into the 'newer' Alice In Chains at all though sadly, bar a couple of tracks. Cantrell should've stuck with his solo stuff because Degradation Trip was a fucking masterpiece.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Down in a Hole is my favourite track.  The Staley/Cantrell vocals always give me chills.

• Great album.
    Check out the "Into the Wild" soundtrack - I thought it was cool, anyway.