Cigar Box Guitars

What's Hot
It was my wedding anniversary last week & this is my gift from my wife:
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/9D9D0BBB-0D48-4DCB-B9F7-BD1A80FD82F2_zpsb0newlie.jpg

Have any of you built a cigar box guitar before?
It looks like a fun wee project & even has a (cheap) piezo pickup so I can amp the guitar.
I'll post pictures and progress reports as I go, but my mod challenge tele is taking priority.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've made a few for friends.  I'm currently in the middle of making four from scratch.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I should mention that that particular cigar box was picked out specially for me as the Count of Montecristo is my favourite book... What can I say, she's a keeper!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    I made one - didn't have a cigar box, so I improvised - sapele neck, radiused plywood fingerboard, plywood top and back.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Ive made a couple that worked quite well, but I prefer a beat up electric guitar with just 3 strings......a la Seasick......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• So I had an hour or so to spare this afternoon... This is the result.
    http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/02B4DC88-B814-463A-9F7A-B35AE79E246B_zpsmcsvggg9.jpg
    It isn't perfect & I intend to add fret markers & maybe shape the neck & headstock a bit.
    However, I have a working musical instrument made from a plank, box & a few other bits & bobs.
    It was even fun to do.
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    It's pretty cool, I like the bolts for nut and bridge - very trad