Band rant :(

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10425

It's worth pointing out though that while your looking for the right band for you life goes by, no one gets any younger. At least while your playing your out there and on show for other bands to poach you and your getting the expirence .... paying your dues or whatever they call it. I'm not exactly the best player in the world but I'm constantly asked if I'm interested in playing with other people, cos I'm always in out there playing ... in the shop window 

Just don't take it seriously, have a laugh and a beer at the gigs, see it for what it is, a chance to get paid for being in a pub
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny, do you ever fancy playing for something bigger and better or are you happy where you are?

@ICBM - thanks for your input and I concur. I've yet to hear you play so let me know when/where you gig and I'll try to pop along for sure :)
    Yeah the time thing is a pain. That's really what this album is about - it's my own thing while I put in my dues, as Danny says, with the band. Maybe I'll get spotted and asked into another band or whatever. I'm just going to do as well as I can for now. At least we're not learning a million new songs so some of the pressure has been taken off.
    Danny, do you ever fancy playing for something bigger and better or are you happy where you are?

I think I've been lucky really, I get paid a lot better than many of the other pub \ club playing muso's I know ..... and I'm playing the kind of music I like. It helps that I get on with my band members, I mean really well ... we go out drinking together and have barbies etc. Good social life as well as a good earn
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Nice one! How many gigs a month? Sounds like you're doing alright?)!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited August 2015
    Arrived late to this thread and read it all and it seems like I just re-read my band-life story!.

Crib sheets, commitment, finding gigs, accepting and working on collective and individual failings, understanding the need to gig regularly to get good, being professional about it all, turning up on time, all mucking in to help set up and take down. 

Been through all of that and out the other end and I do remember the feeling of relief that I was out of it. I played some good gigs but the longer we went on, more personnel changes, lack of gig readiness and then one piss poor gig that was embarrassing, and it felt like flogging a dead horse. I pulled the plug, and the singer admitted if I hadn't he would have because he was in another band (and they dont care if he needs crib sheets).

I'd like to still play in a band but I really dont have the energy to be the one to drive it anymore haveing tried for 8 years or so. Thats why I'm getting rid of my PA, I dont want to be the one with the responsibility to lug it around, set it up, make sure its working properly and then carry it all back into the house at 2am.

I think you all have to agree about how many gigs a month you're prepared to play. If you dont all agree, bale, it'll never work. And you all have to take responsibility to find them, unfortunately a monetary incentive isn't the answer, well it is but its the one thats really telling you to get out and find some other band. If members cant be bothered to work at finding gigs, that should tell you all you need to know.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Ah the PA that'll be me then. Feel for you man
    hywelg;752499" said:
    Arrived late to this thread and read it all and it seems like I just re-read my band-life story!.

Crib sheets, commitment, finding gigs, accepting and working on collective and individual failings, understanding the need to gig regularly to get good, being professional about it all, turning up on time, all mucking in to help set up and take down. 

Been through all of that and out the other end and I do remember the feeling of relief that I was out of it. I played some good gigs but the longer we went on, more personnel changes, lack of gig readiness and then one piss poor gig that was embarrassing, and it felt like flogging a dead horse. I pulled the plug, and the singer admitted if I hadn't he would have because he was in another band (and they dont care if he needs crib sheets).

I'd like to still play in a band but I really dont have the energy to be the one to drive it anymore haveing tried for 8 years or so. Thats why I'm getting rid of my PA, I dont want to be the one with the responsibility to lug it around, set it up, make sure its working properly and then carry it all back into the house at 2am.

I think you all have to agree about how many gigs a month you're prepared to play. If you dont all agree, bale, it'll never work. And you all have to take responsibility to find them, unfortunately a monetary incentive isn't the answer, well it is but its the one thats really telling you to get out and find some other band. If members cant be bothered to work at finding gigs, that should tell you all you need to know.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I think it also gets harder the more people you have in the band.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26640
    I think it also gets harder the more people you have in the band.
    Yes. It's one of the reasons I wanted to stay as a 4-piece. Sadly, I need another guitarist to cover the moments where my right arm freezes up thanks to the nerve issues, so I've had to give in.

Thankfully, the new guy's not a prick, so it could be worse :)
    <space for hire>
  • We're a 6 piece. 
    Do you NEED somebody to work the PA throughout? I say yes. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Our drummer and keyboardist have both depped in a local band that are a 7 peice plus a sound guy. This is a band that gigs a lot and can play the same venues as touring 'name' ( ok, not big name) bands. Apparently the atmosphere is permenantly horrible and there is a huge turn over of members. The only constant is the bassist who organises everything ( and takes an additional cut) who is built like a brick s*******e and not beyond using threats to get things done. All paid gigs but you only get 1/10th of the money so for an individual not brilliant.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

All the bands I'm in are basic 2 guitars bass and drums but in my main band we also use an additional session type guy to play keys and some extra guitar, so for Living on a Prayer we have 2 guitars and keys but for Hotel California we will have 3 guitars. It makes the band really adaptable. Then we have a sound guy and a lighting guy so basically 7 people to pay. I do think these people are  essential though. It's their job to make us sound good and look good and we don't have to worry about anything other than playing. All the other bands I play in also use dedicated sound guys to mix the band, normally from an iPad out front.

All the bands I work with run their own vans. So everything is left in van and you don't have the hassle of carrying gear into the house at 1am ... That's another expense though as you gotta buy it, Tax it, Insure it etc 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    We're a 6 piece. 
    Do you NEED somebody to work the PA throughout? I say yes. 
    I always said yes but would the rest of the band try to find someone to run it? Not a chance.
  • Danny1969 said:

It's worth pointing out though that while your looking for the right band for you life goes by, no one gets any younger. At least while your playing your out there and on show for other bands to poach you and your getting the expirence .... paying your dues or whatever they call it. I'm not exactly the best player in the world but I'm constantly asked if I'm interested in playing with other people, cos I'm always in out there playing ... in the shop window 

Just don't take it seriously, have a laugh and a beer at the gigs, see it for what it is, a chance to get paid for being in a pub
    Very wise words, life's too short!!  Don't burn bridges too