Bitsbox Son of Clay Jones - It Lives

What's Hot
Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
edited August 2015 in Making & Modding
Ordered a son of clay Jones kit 9pm Thursday night and just arrived this morning. Excellent service from Bitsbox.

I'm looking forward but also terrified to start my first ever pedal build with this lot. Wish me luck and I'll update when I hit my first problem :-).

Uploaded with Imgupr
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Good luck sir :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    I'm interested in doing this myself, would love to see how you get on.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2015
    Update this little guy lives! Really easy to build once I got a little advice on a component from @juansolo I got the board put together last night but haven't had time to box it up yet going to do that later tonight.

Here's a pic of the front and back with my ropey soldering. Was expecting more problems or if in honest no sound at all but it sounds really good actually. I haven't cut the LEDs down to size yet I wanted to check if the board worked first.

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Edit - I recorded a video to send to a friend of mine last night so I'll attach that too.  It was recorded on an iphone so not very good quality but proves the bugger worked  :D

Once I get it cased up I'll mic up my amp and record a proper sound demo with knob twiddleage.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited August 2015
    Looks good.

I built the Deep Blue Delay and it worked great.

Then put it in a case and broke all the wire connections as I went as I had used solid core cable.

If you have too, go very carefully as these break off really easily.

If not, ignore my ill placed advice.

Cheers

(PS - Was so angry with myself I threw it into the back of my wardrobe and its still there after three months:)))
    @Marktigere1 Thanks for the heads up I used solid core wire too.  I'll check each wire with a multi meter as I go.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited August 2015 tFB Trader
    Nice website that Bitsbox :)

Love that you can get a Vemuram Jan Ray for £12!  :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    Good stuff, well done, I've made a few DIY pedals from BitsBox, at a good price, they're tagboardeffects layouts, a great vero board layout web site.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    I can already see this being highly addictive @martinw. I'm going to order a Clark gainster and a jan ray next I want to compare the jan ray to my timmy and for under £20 cased it would be rude not to :D
    GuyBoden;738335" said:
    Good stuff, well done, I've made a few DIY pedals from BitsBox, at a good price, they're tagboardeffects layouts, a great vero board layout web site.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/
    Ive spent a lot of time on there over the last few days.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    Nice work, sounds very good. Nice playing, too. :)
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Good work. Bitsbox is a great site. 

Couple of tips:

You don't have to drill all the way through to make the track cuts - just use the drill bit on the copper side. Bitsbox sells a great tool for this purpose: http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=243_271&products_id=1853 You then end up with nice cuts like this:

Trim off the ends of the components too - otherwise there's a slight chance they'll bend over and bridge tracks.

Also - keep all the leftover resistor and capacitor legs - here's one of several boxes I have ...image

so you get nice neat links like this: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Dave_Mc cheers dude

@4114Effects thanks for the tip on the tool to cut the tracks I'll pick one of those up when I order some more kits. I really enjoyed building it and learned a lot from my first one so I know my next will be a lot better. I did trim the ends off more thoroughly before I cased it up though will also need finer snips to really get in close.