Routing with a Dremel?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
edited August 2015 in Making & Modding
So...

I bought myself an SSS layout Strat style body with a Floyd bridge rout.

The idea is to make it HSS and also trim the heel down a bit to accommodate playing down the 'dusty end'

I have a hand held Dremel and some routing bits for it.

Any tips?

Or should I leave it 'as is' and get someone to do it properly.
Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    Dremels are not great for this. Too much play and not enough power.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    edited August 2015
    WezV said:
    Dremels are not great for this. Too much play and not enough power.

My thoughts were along these lines. 

Figured it could be a 'hack job' if I use the Dremel.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I bought a cheap router and bits (from Screwfix?) and I use a largish piece of black pickguard plastic to cushion between the router base and guitar. The sheer size and weight of the router gives a lot more stability. I rout in small amounts, 1/4 inch depth at a time, and just take time to be careful and methodical. Slow but it means in less than 30 mins I've got a result I'm happy with. If I was quick it might take less than 10 mins. But I figure the extra 20mins is worth it - not like I rout a guitar every day or even every week. :)
    I might have to use a bread knife...

;)

Think I will invest in a router soon, as in no rush with this body and I could do with owning a router anyway.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I'm still kicking myself for not having the cash to pick up that router/router table/bits combo that they were
    recently knocking out at Aldi. I doubt it would stand up to regular sustained use but for hobbyists such as ourselves I suspect it would be ideal for the odd bit of pickup routing etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Look on eBay - my router cost £10 s/h plus £4 postage.

It's not a posh one but it did the job making the Tablecaster. Tbh, invest in good quality router bits and that makes a MASSIVE difference.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    If you don't want to go to the trouble of a router and proper jigs (and quality bits as impmann said), you might actually be better off with a decent sharp wood chisel and a mallet, and do it the old way. Free-hand routing is harder than it looks to do a nice job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    i would agree with that.    and easy to tidy up after with a dremel  sanding wheel if it does look a bit bodged

my only concern here is it being floyd routed, if its recessed then you may have minimal wood to play with here.  don't want to be hitting too hard with a mallet in the wrong spot
    The other option is stacked single coil pickup in the bridge I suppose.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    I did the same job with forstner & drill to chop some out, chisels, and sanding drums in a dremel to smooth & tidy everything up.
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    Routers are the cats of the tool world.  You think you are getting on fine and then for no obvious reason and totally without warning they will have your eye out.   It is worth spending the money on a decent router and good quality bits - far cheaper than a bionic eye. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom