Top of the Pops 1980

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
Those of a certain age will love this. One of my favourite years in Music(although I have a few)

Great one hour Documentary.

That is all.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Don't have time right now, but sounds appealing. I'll try to catchy it later.

I love stuff from 76-79, my latter school years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
    Did you manage to watch it @axisus ?

I think the BBC did a few of these, a bit like the "I Love 1980" "I Love 1970" Docs they did, they might have done some 70's ones. It's typical BBC stuff, music intermingled with current affairs of the day.

I might try find some 70's stuff too.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    ...it's typical BBC stuff, music intermingled with current affairs of the day.

That reminds me a series they used to run (on BBC 2?) The Rock And Roll Years - Current affairs footage cut to hits of the period. It was a good format, I'm surprised they haven't recycled it. Or perhaps they have and I missed it.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    They still do them now, the nostalgia shows. The footage is processed to make it look like its come off a long play VHS with the usual professional thought sparers pretending they can remember watching Snoop Dogg on The Word standing on Rod Hull's head when in fact they just saw the clip for the first time five minutes before doing the piece to camera making sure they follow the producers instruction to use the word 'iconic' and explaining tings in a totally different way to what actually happened.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
    edited August 2015
    Wulfhere said: They still do them now, the nostalgia shows. The footage is processed to make it look like its come off a long play VHS with the usual professional thought sparers pretending they can remember watching Snoop Dogg on The Word standing on Rod Hull's head when in fact they just saw the clip for the first time five minutes before doing the piece to camera making sure they follow the producers instruction to use the word 'iconic' and explaining tings in a totally different way to what actually happened.

I bet you were gasping for breath just from
    typing that.

;-)
  • Not seen ... but I would expect from the BBC that the 1970s were "about"

• The Osmonds
    • Glam-influenced fashion
    • Punk (latter half of the deciade)
    whereas the 1970s were really about

• Rock growing up, progressive-wise
    • Acoustic singer/songwriters
    • Reggae becoming a lot more mainstream-accepted

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Phil_aka_Pip;746619" said:
    Not seen ... but I would expect from the BBC that the 1970s were "about"

The OsmondsGlam-influenced fashionPunk (latter half of the deciade)

whereas the 1970s were really about

Rock growing up, progressive-wiseAcoustic singer/songwritersReggae becoming a lot more mainstream-accepted
    It starts at 1980 so the 70's doesn't get much coverage - worth a watch actually cheers for the link OP.
    Previously known as stevebrum