URGENT HELP NEEDED! Weber 12F150 8ohm speaker

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong sub for this post, I also posted in £Misc but as I need this speaker urgently I thought I'd also reach out to fellow modders, as if you're anything like myself you hopefully always have a few spare speakers to hand!

I'm in the middle of recording an album, on the last song my Weber speaker broke.  I've tried several alternatives I have to hand but nothing is sounding close enough to the broken original to sit on the album.  If anyone has one they're willing to sell, I'm willing to offer above the normal asking price for saving me!  Please let me know asap if you have one and are in/near London.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    Bud I have a mint Eminence Fender DRRI speaker at 8ohm. If you're around Kew you can come and grab it- no money required.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• rkenedyrkenedy Frets: 2
    Gassage said:
    Bud I have a mint Eminence Fender DRRI speaker at 8ohm. If you're around Kew you can come and grab it- no money required.
    thanks so much for the offer, that's really kind of you!  unfortunately it's the exact speaker i broke that i'm looking for, it's for a vintage '60s blackface DR and it just doesn't sound similar enough to finish recording the songs if i use a different type of speaker.  thanks so much all the same :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    I know - and I also know, FWIW, Watford Valves are out of stock of them at the mo as spoke to Derek on Thurs.

I guess the nearest would be one of WV's Harma's or a WGS?

You might give Wembley Loudspeakers a call too and ask if they can do an emergency fix or have a spare in stock?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• rkenedyrkenedy Frets: 2
    Gassage;736269" said:
    I know - and I also know, FWIW, Watford Valves are out of stock of them at the mo as spoke to Derek on Thurs.

I guess the nearest would be one of WV's Harma's or a WGS?

You might give Wembley Loudspeakers a call too and ask if they can do an emergency fix or have a spare in stock?
    Thank you so so much for the tips! Will give Wembley Loudspeakers a ring right away!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    Where is the Weber broken? Is it the voice coil that's burned out or a bad connection at the crimp connectors on the terminals? Check by metering directly across the cone braids with a multimeter, if you get a reading the coil is OK.

Or has it died in some other way than a complete open circuit?

Just asking because Webers are built on Eminence frames I think, and Eminence have a problem with the crimps that hold the cone braids - sometimes they corrode slightly and the speaker appears dead, but can be fixed very easily by soldering up the connections - it's such a common fault that I always solder them as a preventative measure when installing an Eminence speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I have a Weber 12F150 8 ohm available