School me in Dream Theater

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    edited August 2015
    I agree with others Scenes from a Memory is their masterpiece and is probably my most listened to album of theirs.

I'm also confident in saying that Dream Theater have done nothing whatsoever in the style of Djent. Metal I'd argue is their boundary.

As for BCASL and DT @Octahedron, Mangini is a great drummer, no doubt about it, but to me the second album he's played on is unimaginative, not very melodic, questionably arranged and a far cry from the music they've put out previously. Same for BCASL. Just my humble opinion.

EDIT: I also agree that Octivarium is a great album. Pound for Pound it's arguably their best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited August 2015
    viz said:
    Images and words has zero djent and lots of musicality. Awake is great. Octavarium is great.
    This ^^^

However, by far one of the worst gigs I've ever been to. Amazing musicianship, but just lacking in anything else. We were surrounding by so many people loving it, so the gig itself wasn't shit. Just not my thing.

I do however love the three albums that @Viz mentioned.
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Yes we went to a DT gig and depsite being in the front row I lost concentration after a bit.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I think that maybe Roadrunner has a bit to do with the way the band has developed over the past few albums.

I don't know if they would have the success they have now, if they were signed to another lower-profile label.

The first album they put out on Roadrunner, Systematic Chaos, was great. But you also get a sense when listening to it that it's a little more 'commercial' than their previous works.

I recently moved house, I need to go into the garage and find my Dream Theater CDs (they're not all in my iTunes library!) Gosh.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    I loved Octavarium.

The live "Score" record with the 'Octavarium Orchestra" is decent too, the live of version Sacrificed Sons on there is pretty damn good.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2015
    Images and Words - fantastic, proper overblown uncool prog. Great solos from when Petrucci was at or near his best, and stunning vocals.

Awake - darker, heavier, even better solos and several of Labrie's best vocal performances. The solo at 12:00 here is magical.

Falling Into Infinity - very underrated. I think it's an excellent album. Derek Sherinian on keys too, although I prefer Kevin Moore, who played on the aforementioned two albums and is by far the best keyboardist they've had. Don't like Jordan Rudess's soloing at all.

Train of Thought - heavy and modern-sounding, with some ill-advised nu-metal parts but some of Petrucci's craziest soloing and lots of jaw-breaking drumming. This is an instrumental track, the solo at 3:35 basically got me into Petrucci single-handedly. Madness.

Octavarium - Panic Attack and the title track are masterpieces, not fussed on the rest. But seriously, listen to this. ALL of it.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings - some great songs, and some truly glorious solos - Petrucci's best modern-era playing. In particular, listen to how the solos at 0:28 and 16:59 mirror each other, it's awesome. All the music in this track is superb. Lyrics suck though.

Anything after Portnoy left - meh.

The lyrics have always been kind of wank but I think the music usually makes up for it and then some.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2015
    And if you want to know why so many people, myself included, hold Petrucci in such high regard - particularly his 90s sound:

2:00 onwards is utterly wonderful. I'd probably have cried tears of joy if I was in the audience for that.

He doesn't really play like that any more, which is a shame. One of my favourite guitar tones too, and again he doesn't sound like that now.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Really not keen but the solo in Under A Glass Moon is a favourite of mine to play. Was in my first ever GT mag, still have those pages today.
  • I though the late ones were bland. Scenes From a Memory was the most memorable. 
    I bought and sold Awake several times before I "got them" and it's a beast of an album.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    The Live at the Marquee album is stunning:

And this is one of Petrucci's best solos in recent years @Bucket (5:00ish)

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Indulgent widdle.

I utterly cringe when I hear Petruchi MURDERING C Numb

The first 12 bars are tolerable but then.....ugh.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Indulgent widdle.

I utterly cringe when I hear Petruchi MURDERING C Numb

The first 12 bars are tolerable but then.....ugh.

Off-topic slightly but the horns of JP's signature guitar annoy me. They look wrong. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    edited August 2015
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    edited August 2015
    Bucket said:
    And if you want to know why so many people, myself included, hold Petrucci in such high regard - particularly his 90s sound:

2:00 onwards is utterly wonderful. I'd probably have cried tears of joy if I was in the audience for that.

He doesn't really play like that any more, which is a shame. One of my favourite guitar tones too, and again he doesn't sound like that now.
    I agree. I'd also say that he peaked during the time they did Live at Budokan:

Simply outstanding.

Recently, he seems to have thrown melody out of the window, which, in my eyes shouldn't be sacrificed for anything.
    I just put on Systematic Chaos. Good album. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Gassage said:
    Indulgent widdle.

Not at all like anything Gilmour has done then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom