Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ThorpyFX Muffroom

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    wow, thats a lot of money.
    go have a look at D*A*M or Pete Cornish
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    It's not a lot of money for a high quality pedal made in the uk. I just paid 359 for an overdrive made in France which is bloody expensive but I you get what you pay for with these things
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allicio;748496" said:
    It's not a lot of money for a high quality pedal made in the uk. I just paid 359 for an overdrive made in France which is bloody expensive but I you get what you pay for with these things
    Sometimes. I wouldn't pay that for an overdrive made anywhere, but thorpy's prices are fair and competitive - he offers a custom enclosure, not just a hammond or whatever, and is designed with top mount jacks and such - small things that make a difference I feel, whether it just looks and feels luxury (enclosure) or for practicality (jacks, angled design helps protect the knobs from stomps).

It's an excellent design I think, and very unique. The costs are justified I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Can someone make a video of themselves playing through a Muffroom Cloud and post it here. It will certainly help me decide if it's for me or not?

Thanks
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
     here you go you lazy sod :-P

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    lol thanks but not that one I've already seen that. Just want to see more before pulling the rigger
    meltedbuzzbox;748574" said:
     here you go you lazy sod :-P

• £185 is expensive. Its more than I'd ever spend on an overdrive or a fuzz. 

But---and its a big but---its also not unreasonable, given what the pedal is and in relation to other, similar pedals. £185 for a British built pedal, in a lovely custom enclosure, with top quality parts is actually a pretty fair price. There are other things out there that make the Thorpy seem pretty cheap! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4554
    Hehehe Muff.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    DesVegas said:
    Hehehe Muff.
    it never gets old!!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He's here all week ;)
    DesVegas;748727" said:
    Hehehe Muff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    allicio;748496" said:
    I agree you get what you pay for up to a point but £359! That's secondhand amp territory. What's it based on?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    It's based on filling his bank account as fast as possible.
    After al the time he's probably spent on its development and then promotion and packaging design of it I there's probably not as much profit in it as you might think so a little unfair to say that I imagine.

I work in advertising so I know what this stuff costs before it gets to launch day
    Sassafras;749061" said:
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    After al the time he's probably spent on its development and then promotion and packaging design of it I there's probably not as much profit in it as you might think so a little unfair to say that I imagine.

I work in advertising so I know what this stuff costs before it gets to launch day
    Sassafras;749061" said:
    i think he was refferring to the overdrive at £359
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited August 2015
    Oops sorry misread that thread :( In that case yes I agree that is way expensive and lining his pockets lol
    thorpy6;749082" said:
    hotpickups said:

Sassafras;749061" said:It's based on filling his bank account as fast as possible.

i think he was refferring to the overdrive at £359
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I was indeed referring to the VL effects £359 OD pedal.
    I don't think Thorpy's Muffroom is overpriced at all.
    It's in a really well made enclosure and by all accounts it sounds great. If I liked Big Muffs I'd consider paying £185 for one.
    Look at the prices of most boutique fuzzes out there especially Germanium Tonebender types. £185 seems cheap in comparison.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Overpriced? Buy one and see the detail in them. I would suspect he's making very little.

The biggest thing- lazer etched stainless steel bespoke enclosure? No RS jobbie here.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    To add, read the Thorpy interview in Guitarist and I quote

"Whenever you open up a missle or something...."

Which reminded me to open up my missile tonight....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Holy Crap...Just plugged in @Gassage Vick Audio 73 Rams Head Muff!!! It's bloody brilliant...Sustains like a violin etc.etc
     If the Muffroom Cloud knocked the Vick Muff  off his board then I can only guess at how great the Muffroom is!!

Better start saving now i guess......

:)
  • @Gassage Is that a missile in your pocket?