New track from me!

BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Came up with a riff I really liked a few days ago, the first thing I've ever written that sits in the kind of Periphery-esque modern metal vein I've always liked listening to but never been able to replicate. Fairly melodic progression with lots of extended chords and so on. 

Anyway, I liked the riff so much that I decided to turn it into a full track. Well, nearly a full track - no drums or bass yet, it's just guitars because I can't get a drum sound I like out of Reason, and I'd rather save the bass for when I have drums. The guitars sound pretty good IMO though - I double-tracked the rhythm parts and it also turned into something of an exercise to see how many harmonies I could fit in :D

Tone isn't that djenty but whatever... and the breakdown riff at 1:30 took me about a million years and still doesn't sound great. I nicked the raked harmonics from Gojira and the harmonised sweeps from DragonForce :D Solo was pure guesswork, wasn't really sure what to do over such a strange progression (C#sus2 - Cmaj7 - Am7 - Cmaj9/E) but I think it turned out ok.

So yeah, I'd appreciate your thoughts!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Top work I reckon. Tight rhythm work, and I like the solo at the end. A very 'Steven Wilson' choice of notes...

Looking forward to hearing it with bass and drums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    That's really cool. I love the harmonised, (tapped I assume), arpeggios
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3917
    Nice work.
  • I'm big into guitar harmonies and layering, too - my whole album is full of it. Really liked this track - guitar sounds are great, there's a lot of tune to it - not the usual sort of thing. I've said that before, your stuff is pretty good. You study music right... how long have you been playing? Awesome stuff. 
  • If I had the time I'd love to write a track with you but I've barely got a minute to breathe right now.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2015
    The chord progression around 2:14 onward was the best bit - really caught my attention. Sounds like you've got some skills at the end there.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    that sounds really good. Love the guitar tone and the breakdown bit you think doesn't sound great does sound great. This will sound awesome with drums.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Thanks guys!

I've been away all week and not been on here at all, very heartening to come back to this response :)

@thomasross20 I've been playing about eight years now. And yeah it'd be cool to do a track, I'm very busy atm also but hopefully we'll find the time at some point, no rush!

And @hubobulous the harmonised arpeggios were all sweeps I think!
  • Where is it you study again - what are the most important things you've learnt?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2015
    Where is it you study again - what are the most important things you've learnt?
    ICMP in London... most important stuff would be the theory, which has been really well taught so far, and all the chord stuff (CAGED system, which is essential - and I've been taught loads of different voicings for extended chords too). And I've gained a huge amount of experience of playing in front of people, so I'm far, far less nervous on stage now. That's probably the most important thing.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2015
    Nice!! Loads of practical experience 8) Doing it day in day out for a few years will really reap benefits!