Sell or Modify?

What's Hot
The title says it all really.
I have a cheap as chips Squier Strat which is actually quarter/half decent.

What's good:
The body is full thickness, Nice condition, no chips
Black, this could be a self build Clapton type Strat.
Even if I added a brand New Mexican maple neck, I would still have about £180 over a new, pro setup G&L.

What's bad:
The neck plate appears to be stuck to the body?
The machine heads are total w@nk
Could do with a properly cut nut.
Whammy snapped in thread, cannot get out without butchering finish of bridge.
Cheap electrics, crackly knobs.

Why the dilemma?
I have always wanted a self build with a connection to my kids. I have a serial number already set out and sure I could come up with a name.
But. Could the money spent just but me a very well set up Strat/fallout/asat type guitar?

I know self builds can be very rewarding. I just don't know which way to go.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    edited August 2015
    What's wrong with the neck?  Allparts or Northwest Guitars might have a good quality one at a lower price if you really need to change it. 
    Probably change the bridge for a Wilkinson or similar with a heavy steel or brass block (about £30).
    Reasonable machines only cost £30 or so, so changing those is a no brainer if they are shot. (or w@nk)
    Nuts are quite cheap - you can practice cutting one.
    Unless you are refinishing the body, you probably don't need to remove the neck plate 

And electrics are simple - can source parts locally from Maplin (and a switch from Northwest or Vanson? if needed)

I would go for the rebuild anyway

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on the rebuild...

Very satisfying when it's finished: and you needn't spend a fortune either.

Squier necks are usually quite nice, especially with s little TLC. Do you really need to replace it? Far easier to sand down the headstock and refinish with your own waterslide decals.

Electrics are a doddle (if you are that way inclined): the Wilkinson trem is a nice piece of kit: and there is a huge range of quality tuners available.

Axesrus do their own-brands p'ups (at very attractive rates for a matched set) which would give many a set several times the price a very good run for the money: check out the sound clips on their website...

By the time you've finished you'd have a guitar that would easily out perform many costing 10x what yours did!

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Rebuild.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Mod it!....MOD IT!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• GruGru Frets: 339
    Thanks for your comments.

Only reason for changing neck is I love maple boards on black Strats, but it could stay for the time being.

Neck plate says 'Squier by Fender' and I wpuld like a personalised one. Assuming i can get it off?

I still currently have it, although it is on an auction site at the moment. I don't think it will sell and if it doesn't I will get to work.

I have started pricing parts and it certainly won't be too expensive, but should sound and behave a lot better, and cost could be spread.
    edited September 2015
    Well it didn't sell. So let the modding begin.

Tuners and bridge will be first. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I'm doing a similar thing (very slowly) on a Squier Strat. So far - new pickups & all new replacement electronics from IronGear/Axetec and a s/h Wilkinson bridge from the classifieds on here and it's already a ton better (for about a ton).

I also found the neck plate appeared to be stuck on but I'm not bothered about that.
    markv;767641" said:
    I'm doing a similar thing (very slowly) on a Squier Strat. So far - new pickups & all new replacement electronics from IronGear/Axetec and a s/h Wilkinson bridge from the classifieds on here and it's already a ton better (for about a ton).

I also found the neck plate appeared to be stuck on but I'm not bothered about that.
    I might try some heat on the neck plate? Only light mind you.

It will certainly be something to do over the winter. I have the spreadsheet at the ready which currently shows the guitar and purchase price. I will break it down once finished.

I almost purchased the tuners and bridge yesterday but prioritised the tuners on my acoustic first, oh and accidently purchased a carbon copy, whoops. :-)
    Gru said:
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that.
    Gru said:
    I almost purchased the tuners and bridge yesterday but prioritised the tuners on my acoustic first, oh and accidently purchased a carbon copy, whoops. :-)
    I know that feeling, I've accidentally purchased quite a few pedals this year after getting back into it ...

I'm not quite sure what else I really need to do to my Strat since it actually sounds fine now but I'm not going to let that stop me. Might stick in a humbucker at the bridge. I took the neck off and tried sanding the neck pocket smooth (it was very rough) but now it's slightly out of true somewhere ... oh well, it's all about the journey, right?
    markv;767966" said:
    Gru said:

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that.

Gru said:I almost purchased the tuners and bridge yesterday but prioritised the tuners on my acoustic first, oh and accidently purchased a carbon copy, whoops. :-)

I know that feeling, I've accidentally purchased quite a few pedals this year after getting back into it ...

I'm not quite sure what else I really need to do to my Strat since it actually sounds fine now but I'm not going to let that stop me. Might stick in a humbucker at the bridge. I took the neck off and tried sanding the neck pocket smooth (it was very rough) but now it's slightly out of true somewhere ... oh well, it's all about the journey, right?
    Exactly! :-)

I did get a little concerned when I started adding it all up. The Strat is going to be the cheapest part once factor in:
    Wilko Bridge (steel block)
    New Tuners.
    String trees
    Pick guard screws
    Trem springs
    Pickups, wiring, etc.
    waterslides.

Thankfully the body is good, the neck is usable (although would prefer maple) and I really like the pickguard/trem cover.

The plan is to do the lot for around £150, but I will see how it goes.
    My Squier has an all maple neck but I wouldn't mind having a rosewood board. Maybe we could consider a swap?

I'd want to compare the necks first, as I am sure you would. In theory since they are both Squiers they should be roughly equivalent but who knows?

Where are you? I'm near Southampton.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Stick a screwdriver into one of the neckplate holes, angle the screwdriver sideways so the tip is on the wood in the hole and the edge of the screwdriver shaft rests againt the side of the neckplate screw hole, gently lever, the neckplate should pop off.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom