Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help me choose a soldering iron

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    the_jaffa;72497" said:
    Someone recommended this one to me a bit back.  I've not bought one yet so intrigued as to whether anyone has tried one and whether it would be a suitable option this kind of use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121075114962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    They're very good but they don't last. But at that price, they're almost disposable....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    the_jaffa;72497" said:
    Someone recommended this one to me a bit back.  I've not bought one yet so intrigued as to whether anyone has tried one and whether it would be a suitable option this kind of use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121075114962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    They're very good but they don't last. But at that price, they're almost disposable....
    the_jaffa;72497" said:

Three is the magic number....
  • Pickup covers aside, I've used this on lots of things. Not bad. 10 quid. 

http://www.maplin.co.uk/30w-soldering-iron-mains-powered-32909
  • Pickup covers are an exception ... as are soldering earth leads to heavy steel Tele base plates that act as efficient heat-sinks in their own right. 100w minimum for that.
    That explains why I couldn't solder the earth wire to my Tele. In the end I just placed it under the bridge plate and refitted it, hoping the pressure of the plate on the body would hold the wire in place with a decent contact. Seems to work...   :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • i struggle to melt the big blobs on PRS and Gibsons where the factories use Hippy Solder that seems to require a nuclear weapon to heat...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Swan Vesta.

Sorted...

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I picked up a Dremmell gas powered one, not bad at all, but does need a bit more cleaning than a 'leccy one.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Having read this thread, I now know why the back of the pots on my homebrew Tele deluxe are such an awful mess.
  • Do solder suckers work and can anyone recommend a good/cheap one? That would enable me to tidy up the blobs on the back of my pots somewhat...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10491
    tFB Trader
    Yup ... but I wear even good ones out bloody quick :)
    E bay's fulla them.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• sorry to hijack but can anyone provide a link to a100w adjustable soldering iron set that will do pick up covers ,pots etc
  • TheMoz said:
    sorry to hijack but can anyone provide a link to a100w adjustable soldering iron set that will do pick up covers ,pots etc
    Have you tried google...?
  • TheMoz said:
    sorry to hijack but can anyone provide a link to a100w adjustable soldering iron set that will do pick up covers ,pots etc
    Have you tried google...?
    would like one recommended in case its crap !!!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    TheGuitarWeasel;72917" said:
    Applying sufficient heat for the shortest possible time is the key for not damaging pickups when fitting covers, or indeed for soldering to pot backs. While it is possible to do these jobs with smaller tip/lower power irons you will have to hold the tip in contact for much longer, and the whole workpiece will heat up more. This means with pickups risking cooking the wiring that runs inside the base lips etc. A big, properly shaped tip is the vital on the bigger jobs ... but not on an under powered iron!

The aim is to use the minimum of solder with the most localised heating.

A good 60w iron will do most things

Pickup covers are an exception ... as are soldering earth leads to heavy steel Tele base plates that act as efficient heat-sinks in their own right. 100w minimum for that.
    So if I'm off to buy one this weekend that will only be used for pots and pedals, you think I need at least 60w? Sorry to pepper you with questions, but I'm a cack handed bugger and likely to solder myself to the table.
  • IronmanIronman Frets: 0
    You can purchase a Soldering iron depending of the project you will manage with the soldering iron, i will say for "universal soldering" you can choose soldering station that has a dial to control the temp, probably easier and safer than trying to something . I used to do a lot of soldering and had a really hard time until I bought the soldering station and problem solved! Also here you can find some review and details about Soldering iron and Soldering iron Tips.
  • IronmanIronman Frets: 0
    You can purchase a Soldering iron depending of the project you will manage with the soldering iron, i will say for "universal soldering" you can choose soldering station that has a dial to control the temp, probably easier and safer than trying to something . I used to do a lot of soldering and had a really hard time until I bought the soldering station and problem solved! Also here you can find some review and details about Soldering iron and Soldering iron Tips.