Spec me an Acoustic..

Si_Si_ Frets: 384
I don't know much about acoustics at all, but my lovely wife is buying my one for Christmas, budget of £350-400. I've been thinking of a Taylor GS Mini, but what other options are there? what's goos at that price bracket?

Si

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33794
    Check out Faith guitars.
    Designed by Patrick Eggle and they are really great for the money.
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Alvarez ap70, really nice little parlour. Faith are great and good value also yamaha is worth a look.
  • +1 on Faith - they are really impressive
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    My Guild GAD F-40 (FS in the classified) sounds better than my Faith High Gloss Neptune Cutaway but I'm keeping the Faith (lol - keeping the faith) cos it's an electro-acoustic.  Just saying and your'e welcome to try it etc.
  • check out my taylor mini in for sale threads, mike b.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Are you going to use it live, or for sitting on the sofa at home?

If it's for home use don't get anything with too big a body.  It's not comfortable on the sofa.

For live, you might need to think about whether it's small venues with no PA, in which case you want something bigger like a dreadnought.  Otherwise get something that's comfortable on the sofa and put a pickup in it.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Not for live, I'm an out and out rock player.. it's just for noodling at tome, maybe learning songs on hence thinking  of the GS Mini.

• kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    was in the same shoes as you, tried a few other bigger Taylors but went for the GS Mini due to comfort. Tone wise it won't be as full as the bigger bodies but nevertheless it still sounds good. Had it for 3 weeks now, still no regrets and it is comfortable to just sit on the floor or sofa in front of the tv. 

I got the built in electro version and sounds great through the THR10 by varying the tone a bit. 

bump for @wrinkleygit great price for his GS mini. 
    I know i don't plan on playing out live with it.. BUT if I ever did would the GS Mini be useable? I assume I'd need to get a pickup fitted.
  • Taylors "easy go" pickup system was designed for the original mini series cost about £75, easy to fit in under 1/2 hour, only spec tool req is a philips screwdriver, don't let the term travel guitar fool you the mini has a big sound acoustically, I used mine at a couple of bbq's, jamming with friends on full size dreads & it held its own easily. the only reason it's now for sale is my arthritis is getting worse & as a result don't play much guitar these days, bass playing is easier on my hands & takes up most of my free time now. mike.
    Great thanks. I would have taken yours if I wasn't in Newcasfle
  • That's only a half hours flight away & you can carry the taylor as hand luggage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just drop me a pm when you land in Newcastle :)
    edited November 2013
    Picked up a Taylor Gs Mini-e this morning.. decided it was worth paying the little extra for the E version. Went for the quilted sides and back as thought it looked better.. Made them get 3 from stock before i decided on which one I wanted..

Seems really nice, only spent a few mins with it as it's a Christmas present, but plays very well. 

Looks similar to this:

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Looks real nice... bugger you gotta wait til Santa has been before you can play with it... bet yu will be up at 0530 Xmas morn like the kids haha

I'm envious..sounds like I'm getting pyjamas 

Cheers
    Baz