NVGD: Vintage content...and Grateful Dead...

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So, last week i spotted something in a facebook group that really took my GAS to a new level...and eventhough i didnt need a guitar...this guitar was a NEED! So after some negotiation i met up with a guy, i played his and he played mine...we exchanged some wood...and some cash...and i came home with this amazing guitar.

1978 Ibanez 2680 - Standard version of the Bob Weir signature model. From some intial research, these guitars were made between 1976 and 1979, and a few hundred were made (but will have to confirm this with more research). The one I got is all stock and all original, and in amazing condition. The machine heads are the original Velve-Tune, which are early locking tuners, and the pickups are the Flying Fingers, and sound glorious.

The body is three peice ash with a thick, and I mean thick, maple cap...and it is bloody heavy! The neck is three peice maple with an ebony board and peal dot inlays...the bridge has a brass block...and the whole thing is put together with such great percision and craftsmenship! Did I say its heavy?? fuckin heavy, but for now, i kinda like it. The tone, well, when I played it at the guys house it was really really bright. He had a set on 9's on it and tuned to E, and playing it through is Jet City with treble and presence all the way off and bass & mids all the way up it was still really bright - not ear piercing, but a nice bright.

I got it home, put a set of 13-59 strings on it, tuned it to B...no need to change the set up, its perfect...just had to cut the nut a little for the low string...and with my strings and tuning, it sounded amazing. The brightness was still there in the clarity and ring of the notes, but still had a lot of low end with out mudd. I have some pretty good guitars (by my standards) and this one right now, blows them all away, and for the first time, I dont feel like i need to change anything!

anyway enough chat...here's some pics...

imageimage

imageimage
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11651
    tFB Trader
    Nice - I was a fan of this era Ibanez and have owned a few Icemans from that period.

The velve tunes weren't locking but a variable tuning tension head.
    I do wonder if there was a special tool to adjust the tension as it can be a bit tricky
    I'm sure a pair of pliers could be modified to have a little pin to locate in the hole to tighten or loosen more easily

These are heavy as heck - I had the doubleneck here for a while and it needed a crane to lift!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    Nice. Our drummer has one of these (I know, go figure?) and it's a beaut, although similar to yours it weighs an absolute ton - or tonne for any youngsters reading this. Enjoy.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I've always liked those.
    Not too keen on the peghead though.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    FelineGuitars;746021" said:
    Nice - I was a fan of this era Ibanez and have owned a few Icemans from that period.

The velve tunes weren't locking but a variable tuning tension head.I do wonder if there was a special tool to adjust the tension as it can be a bit trickyI'm sure a pair of pliers could be modified to have a little pin to locate in the hole to tighten or loosen more easily

These are heavy as heck - I had the doubleneck here for a while and it needed a crane to lift!
    There is a little tool that came with it...a mini wrench that has the tip for the hole...but I actually found it easier to tighten it with my fingers...it can get a little fiddly...but i guess you onlydo it every now again...especially as i never break strings.

I can even imagine how heavy a double neck version would be man...that would be a sitting mans guitar!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1210
    I like these, and the Grateful Dead, a lot.
    like @Sassafras, I'm not mad on the headstock but love the overall vibe.

The 70s was a time when men were men, that's for sure. Bobby Weir would jump about in his jorts for three hours with one of these hanging off his skinny frame. On the same stage Jerry Garcia would be twanging away on the 13 1/2 lb "Tiger". Doubtless those prototype Alembic basses Phil played weighed about the same as both of the guitars put together.

I believe John McLaughlin's Rex Bogue "double rainbow" twin neck weighed about the same as a small country so the jazz-fusion guys were the real iron men.

No wonder they didn't think to complain about those featherweight Norlin-era LP Customs :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12693
    When they wear, those machine heads are awful. They slip like heck and cause tuning problems when string bending.
    I've replaced the set on one of my best friend's one of these twice. Once with a NOS set (about 12 years ago) and recently with some non- original Schallers as they'd gone crappy again. He's owned his from new and it sounds epic in his hands.

Nice guitars... heavy old things though!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    Sam that is killer!!! Don't change a thing!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3043
    Great guitar, I'm a bit of a vintage Ibanez fan. See you over on:

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/

and perhaps:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/55074615631/?fref=ts
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Thanks @blobb, just put my request in for that facebook group.

Luckily my machine heads are pretty good...havent had to tune the guitar since sunday...and for new strings thats quite impressive!

And @lew, yeah, i aint changing nothing...its perfect the way it is.
  • Very nice!
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1246
    Love it. Has a Yam SG vibe about it.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    MrBump said:
    Love it. Has a Yam SG vibe about it.
    definitely has an SG vibe about it.

but I will say, compared to the SG1000 i played, which I absolutely loved, this is slightly better and more comfortable.

besides the weight, this is a really comfortable guitar to play, as its quite thin in the body and has a belly cut and the bevelled edge makes it feel a bit like a fender/Gibson SG with little contact with the forearm...amazing design!