Fraudulent Shop Return - Identify Pickups?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBM;746818" said:
    impmann said:THIS is where the whole thing has gone wrong with Customer Service - some wankers think they can just shout and swear to get their own way, and will do until they are either told to piss off (which I suspect the Airline did) or the other party caves in.

Frankly I hope that dickhead chokes... it's people like him that ruin it for everyone else and didn't help to keep my old company from folding and me being out of work.

I once fell out with the owner of a shop I worked for and resigned - although I was later asked back - over caving in to customer demands.

Although it wasn't the one that was the final straw, one that I remember was that a customer brought back a classical guitar which the bridge had come off, and demanded a replacement. At this point it had no strings on it. I took one look at it and told the owner to refuse because the guy had put steel strings on it, and that's why the bridge had come off. The customer went ballistic and denied ever putting different strings on it, and the shop owner eventually caved in and gave him a new guitar.

Pointing out that *you could see the marks caused by the plain steel strings and the wound G on the machinehead rollers, and the indentations caused by the ball ends on the back of the bridge*, and that I would have been quite happy to give evidence to that effect in court, seemed to cut no ice.
    Guitarlumbo

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I get the gist of it but I'd still like to know what 'jeffing' is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Fuck you, Jeff, he said. He called everyone Jeff. Mad as a hatter

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    edited August 2015
    Sassafras said:
    I get the gist of it but I'd still like to know what 'jeffing' is.

https://youtu.be/kdTHmqYSD5Q

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    edited August 2015

miserneil said:
    Its good to see this, in that well done to @SimonRF for posting it as, there are many threads on here that complain about retailers being the bad guys when, they are often on the end of shitty dealings from customers too, as this post ably demonstrates.

I'm well aware that plenty of customers are dicks too. Some people are just dicks, regardless of whether they're the business owner or the customer.

miserneil said:
    Its good to see this, in that well done to @SimonRF for posting it as, there are many threads on here that complain about retailers being the bad guys when, they are often on the end of shitty dealings from customers too, as this post ably demonstrates.

Sad but true. And this is precisely why a lot of shops feel the DSRs and whatever are unfair. 
    Not having DSRs, though, would be unfair on the myriad good customers. There are perfectly reasonable and legitimate reasons why DSRs should exist.

And those dickish customers would likely just find some other way to defraud retailers if DSRs were stopped.

SimonRF said:
    Thanks. I should stress, though, that in the scheme of things these are very isolated cases. Thinking back to when we did a lot through ebay, 0.5% of customers would take up 95% of our time.
    That's good to hear- both because I don't want you to be defrauded, and also because it's good to know it's an isolated incident (and you're pointing it out). :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    Dave_Mc;747123" said:
    miserneil said:

I'm well aware that plenty of customers are dicks too. Some people are just dicks, regardless of whether they're the business owner or the customer.

stickyfiddle said:

miserneil said:

Sad but true. And this is precisely why a lot of shops feel the DSRs and whatever are unfair. 

Not having DSRs, though, would be unfair on the myriad good customers. There are perfectly reasonable and legitimate reasons why DSRs should exist.

And those dickish customers would likely just find some other way to defraud retailers if DSRs were stopped.
    Of course- not arguing with you at all. Just a shame a handful have to be such dickbags using it to scam small businesses.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    edited August 2015
    Definitely, agreed 100%. :) I'm normally on the side of the customer (being a customer), but I certainly don't condone utter dickishness like that. :( I guess, I'm on the side of the customer if I think the customer is right. I guess everyone thinks that, though. :))
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    edited August 2015 tFB Trader
    I recently had a spanish customer order an Earvana nut , and from the moment it was ordered he was like have you sent it yet, haver you sent it yet.
    It was sent within 12 hours of being ordered but even after it was sent I was getting "when will it arrive emails"

It arrives and and the guy straight away turns round and says I don't want it and I want a full refund.
    I did refund him for the item once it was returned intact, even though I thought that there was something fishy about it all.
    I didn't refund outward postage fees as that's not my policy for non faulty goods.

More likely than not he took a tracing of the shape and offsets and used that to perfect the one he was making

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    miserneil said:
    A friend of my aunt used to have a scam going when the Littlewoods/Kays catalogues were all the rage. If one of her children broke a toy, she would order a new one from the catalogue and when it arrived, send the broken one back in the new box and say it had arrived broken or missing parts. Did it on a number of occasions and, as far as I'm aware, it was never ever questioned!
    I think those catalogues must have had that sort of stuff all of the time but obviously built the shrinkage into their prices.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Regarding the old switcheroo somebody on a watch forum I frequent bought an Omega Seamaster from Costco that was a fake.

Turns out somebody had purchased one and returned a fake for refund, staff didn't know any better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    Regarding the old switcheroo somebody on a watch forum I frequent bought an Omega Seamaster from Costco that was a fake.

Turns out somebody had purchased one and returned a fake for refund, staff didn't know any better.
    How many fake guitars do you see in Cash converters etc? Staff (sadly) cant be experts in everything and people try to exploit that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:

True. I bought a guitar that used to belong to one of my heroes from a reputed 'guitar broker to the stars' a few years ago. When I got there the volume pot was broken and there was no written provenance (the plastics had also been changed but this was disclosed and I saw it as an upgrade). I was familiar with the guitar so I knew it was genuine and we agreed the volume pot and provenance would be sent on the following week. 4 years later I had still received nothing so I managed to contact the original owner of the guitar through mutual friends and he verified it and signed it for me too.
    Ah, I remember you buying that (and where from). Glad you got it sorted eventually!  
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16791

My brother in law used to buy the occasional pallet of "returns" to sell on ebay

They are generally full of stuff like this.   He gave us one of them,  it was a £400 set of knives and knife block.   The original block was still in there, but the knives had been swapped for tesco ones  :(

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5168
    How many fake guitars do you see in Cash converters etc? Staff (sadly) cant be experts in everything and people try to exploit that.

Not many IME. Cash Converters/Generator etc pay sellers a fraction of what they sell their stuff for, and in my experience sell very little stuff as expensive as the sort of guitars worth making fakes of- Chibsons and the like.

I've bought and sold stuff from those places now and then- basically, they'll google whatever it is you're selling and if they can't get a good idea of what it's worth they'll offer peanuts. Beats being saddled with something they paid out a lot of money for and can't shift.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    ICBM;746818" said:
    impmann said:THIS is where the whole thing has gone wrong with Customer Service - some wankers think they can just shout and swear to get their own way, and will do until they are either told to piss off (which I suspect the Airline did) or the other party caves in.

Frankly I hope that dickhead chokes... it's people like him that ruin it for everyone else and didn't help to keep my old company from folding and me being out of work.

I once fell out with the owner of a shop I worked for and resigned - although I was later asked back - over caving in to customer demands.

Although it wasn't the one that was the final straw, one that I remember was that a customer brought back a classical guitar which the bridge had come off, and demanded a replacement. At this point it had no strings on it. I took one look at it and told the owner to refuse because the guy had put steel strings on it, and that's why the bridge had come off. The customer went ballistic and denied ever putting different strings on it, and the shop owner eventually caved in and gave him a new guitar.

Pointing out that *you could see the marks caused by the plain steel strings and the wound G on the machinehead rollers, and the indentations caused by the ball ends on the back of the bridge*, and that I would have been quite happy to give evidence to that effect in court, seemed to cut no ice.
    Wheres that shop at ......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    blueskunk said:

Wheres that shop at ......
    Long since closed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    english_bob;747913" said:
    lustycourtier said:

Not many IME. Cash Converters/Generator etc pay sellers a fraction of what they sell their stuff for, and in my experience sell very little stuff as expensive as the sort of guitars worth making fakes of- Chibsons and the like.

I've bought and sold stuff from those places now and then- basically, they'll google whatever it is you're selling and if they can't get a good idea of what it's worth they'll offer peanuts. Beats being saddled with something they paid out a lot of money for and can't shift.
    A mate of mine managed to flog his old Indoneasian Washburn Paul Stanley Sig Model to Cash Convertors and they mistook it for a U.S. Model. He couldn't get out of there fast enough with his cash!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How many fake guitars do you see in Cash converters etc? Staff (sadly) cant be experts in everything and people try to exploit that.

Not in my experience. Every time I seem to go into the Ellesmere Port or Birkenhead CC, theyll have a cheap strat with a fender logo crudely applied priced as a proper strat, or a Chibson piece of firewood.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5168

Not in my experience. Every time I seem to go into the Ellesmere Port or Birkenhead CC, theyll have a cheap strat with a fender logo crudely applied priced as a proper strat, or a Chibson piece of firewood.

Hm. As far as I know it's a franchise business, so practices may be different in different branches. There's no law against idiots running businesses I guess, so "a fool and his money" and all that...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• danodano Frets: 1595

Well there is your mistake straight way, going into Birkenhead !