Too much solder!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10431
    tFB Trader
    I mix solders regularly and it ain't hurt me none, huck huck huck... now how do you play dueling banjos again?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    TheGuitarWeasel;751842" said:
    I mix solders regularly and it ain't hurt me none, huck huck huck... now how do you play dueling banjos again?
    Left hand on the fretboard, right hand for the pickin' and yer middle hand is free to fiddle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I used to really struggle with soldering and it was all down to using a shit iron! I bought an Antex TCS 50w iron a few years ago with a few tips and it all became so much easier! The TCS at full heat with a 6mm bit has no problem melting any solder onto pot backs or other things that act as heat sinks, and does it very quickly so there is less chance of damaging anything.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited August 2015
    impmann said:
    For the record, RoHS solder is fucking awful.

But hey we're stuck with it.
    We're not. You might be at work, but we're not at work ;)

If anyone want to know where to get 60Sn/40Pb solder I have 25kg+ in blowpipe form
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I use silver solder as well and find it just as easy to use as leaded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360

Some good advice/health and safety here.  Think I need a better iron so will have a look at the Antex ones.  Changing pickups and speakers is about as technical as I get so might as well get decent kit.

On a similar note, I usually manage to touch other wire(s) with the iron when I'm soldering.  Are slightly melted wire casings ok or should I replace them?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    CHrisP86 said:

On a similar note, I usually manage to touch other wire(s) with the iron when I'm soldering.  Are slightly melted wire casings ok or should I replace them?

As long as you don't expose the core or short a shielded cable, it's not a practical problem. If you start replacing wiring you'll only burn more of it :).

It's not good though… you really need to try to avoid it. Work out where you need to hold the iron and move other wiring out the way if there isn't room.

And yes, I still do touch things I don't want to occasionally ;). It's annoying but 90% of the time it isn't worth fixing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Gagaryn said:
    I used to really struggle with soldering and it was all down to using a shit iron! I bought an Antex TCS 50w iron a few years ago with a few tips and it all became so much easier! The TCS at full heat with a 6mm bit has no problem melting any solder onto pot backs or other things that act as heat sinks, and does it very quickly so there is less chance of damaging anything.
    I've just bought a 6mm tip for my Antex TCS and it's a beast - slightly bigger than expected to be honest.  >:D<
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:
    I've just bought a 6mm tip for my Antex TCS and it's a beast - slightly bigger than expected to be honest.  >:D<
    Yeah - it's massive and holds a lot of heat which is exactly what you want. My thinking is better to use as much heat as you can for as short a period as you can as you have much less chance of damaging things. With my old iron Id have to hold the iron on to joints for ages before the solder would melt and by then everything else would be really hot - hot enough to melt insulation on cables and hot enough to damage components. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410

A temperature controlled iron is a good bet because as soon as you make good contact with the pot a normal iron is losing heat via conduction, a temperature controlled iron senses this loss and increases power to combat the effect

I still can't see any good reason though for using vast amounts on solder on top of pots, there's no shielding advantage to it and all it does is stress the pot. If you need some kind of main bus all the earths can meet on then a basic turret screwed on it's on would be better  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Danny1969 said:
    I still can't see any good reason though for using vast amounts on solder on top of pots, there's no shielding advantage to it and all it does is stress the pot. If you need some kind of main bus all the earths can meet on then a basic turret screwed on it's on would be better  
    Actually the best is the point on the volume pot casing right next to where the ground terminal is attached, because that's the reference point where the voltage that the amp sees is relative to, hence it gives the lowest noise. (Obviously only in guitars with a master volume pot.) You still don't need masses of solder though, there's often far too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• This is precisely why I sell my solderless 5-way control plate setups: saves all this agonising... ;-)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Even my Antex XS25 iron copes well with pots if it has a large tip on it (think it's the Antex #52 tip). I dislike a lot of solder less systems .......EMGs were a lot easier to instal when they were soldered

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!