Bum notes

What's Hot
Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
edited August 2015 in Live
Recently my solos (with the 50s/60s pop band) have suffered from bum notes. The music is simple enough, no complex chord or time changes (it's hardly Frank Zappa), so I'm beginning to worry: if I can't handle this stuff, it's pretty damning!

I've so far thought of possible reasons

• I think it should be easy so I'm not concentrating on it
  • My personal commitment to the band is under question, so I don't try very hard
  • I'm getting too old: even my day job seems a bit much these days, and the number of times I've forgotten to do something around the house is also on the increase
Anything else?

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Are the solo's written/rehearsed or winged?

If the latter, try writing/rehearsing some.

I much prefer playing stuff I've rehearsed to winging things.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Try using concentration techniques, you need to choose one that works for you.

Just 'Google' concentration techniques.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • @Mike_l they're all improvised, except that I've been playing some of them for long enough to have been learned by heart!

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3046
    Is it lack of practise? Or do you not know what you're doing?

Are you improvising? Or playing a set piece solo?

What sort of bum notes are they? Are you missing because of lack of technique, or because you don't know what notes to play?

R.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited August 2015
    The solos are all set pieces in the sense that they're not a jam over a subject until we or the audience are fed up and someone in the band has a musical signal that means "end of this bit, let's move on".

Previously, I've played them without bum notes or forgetting which sequence from the song I'm supposed to be soloing over - recently I played over a verse as if the chord progression was for a chorus. It did sound a bit strange ...

Yesterday evening in rehearsal I found myself thinking "what key am I supposed to be playing in?"
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    edited August 2015
    The solos are all set pieces in the sense that they're not a jam over a subject until we or the audience are fed up and someone in the band has a musical signal that means "end of this bit, let's move on".

Previously, I've played them without bum notes or forgetting which sequence from the song I'm supposed to be soloing over - recently I played over a verse as if the chord progression was for a chorus. It did sound a bit strange ...

Yesterday evening in rehearsal I found myself thinking "what key am I supposed to be playing in?"
    Sounds like you are at that dodgy point where you know them just well enough to forget the details if autopilot fails to take over and then your like WTF am I supposed to play...

Points 1&2 probably don't help either
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Maybe over familiarity?

I had a music exam years ago, and my teacher had me play the same piece for 2 or 3 terms.

Needless to say, I'd only played this one piece, thought it was massively drilled into me.

Fucked the exam right up. Barely scraped a pass, second time........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I think it should be easy so I'm not concentrating on it

I would put money on it being this one, Pip.  It's so easy to do - especially if you are tired both physically and perhaps a little tired of the material. 

I'm not trying to frighten you but another possibly that you may want to discuss with your doctor is that you are suffering symptoms from the early stages of Kirkism.

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/kirkhammettfeb2014_638.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • @randomhandclaps can't see pic from here. Do you mean Captain James T Kirk?
  • No, I was referring to the guitar world's answer to Benjamin Button - Kirk Hammett.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • What age are you??
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You are overthinking it I'll bet Relax take your time you've got this!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom