Lets talk about guitar wear, and why do we like it so much?

What's Hot
xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
edited August 2015 in Guitar
Evenin,

I have had a LOT of guitars in my 35 year old life, it got a bit silly at one point but now its slowing down thank god.
Out of all the guitars I have owned its been the vintage well played worn ones which hung around the longest and the ones I remember fondly.

The newer ones especially the PRS's have always played and sometimes sounded better (2011 studio) but its the older ones that have this extra element I am just hooked on.

I know its better to put the wear on myself and did with a 1999 Takamine (gigged for 10 years and looked like it due to the soft spruce top)
But if I am buying a new guitar; brand new or as new, it will never win over old and well used.

But why is it? I didn't put all the wear on them myself, most of it probably occurred before I was born, its rare to find an older well used guitar without one or two little niggles you have to work around.

I'm not even going to mention Relics as I have a feeling that subject has been done to death!

But This does it for me, does it do it for you? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    Cheap Chinese guitars ruined shiny finishes. Add in guitar heros from the 70's playing 50's and 60's gear. So many reasons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    No, not at all. It bugs the hell out of me and I'm not OCD in the slightest.
    When I get a guitar home and it's all hazy or scratched I'll more than likely flatt and cut/polish till its all gone, then I'm pissed off when I put my own inevitable wear onto it, life's a bitch.
  • Did someone say Takamine?

I love the look of it but it doesn't bode well for longevity (this is just under 3 years old).

I wouldn't buy a guitar that had damage to the back of the neck or anything that affected playability. Other than that I don't mind fairly severe cosmetic damage. I don't think I would buy one in this ^^^ state though!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    My favourite guitar already came with some bumps and scratches.  It meant I'm not worried about handling it, playing it, and using it.

A spankingly gorgeous new guitar I'm terrified I'm going to damage...

New shoes syndrome!  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I like old guitars, especially pre-CBS Fenders but if they're badly dinged up then I lose interest. I like guitars in great condition that have been well cared for.
    It irritates me to see chips and dents in any sort of guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    I just don't like shiny or blingy finishes. That's why all my guitars are the very opposite - matte-finished, or bare wood. I find they wear much more nicely, too - my guitars tend to come in for a lot of knocks and scrapes, so I want something that'll wear them with pride.
    <space for hire>
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @digitalscream Your Jaden Tele is one guitar I would make an exception for!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    mrchi said:
    @digitalscream Your Jaden Tele is one guitar I would make an exception for!
    Ahhh...so many have said that ;)

She's got her fair share of knocks and scrapes (including quite an annoying one at the tip of the headstock), but you can't really tell because it's so well worn by the finish and the top.
    <space for hire>
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    I know what you mean, I can't stand new (especially poly) finishes as it just feels sticky and plasticky to me. My über worn '75 Les Paul is my fave guitar and the neck is worn down to just the smooth wood. It feels amazing to play and totally unique because of the wear, all naturally achieved over time.
    Uploaded with Imgupr
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23007
    I'm hesitant to comment here because I'm afraid it's just going to turn into another debate about relics, but....

I'm the sort of person who's very obsessive about new, perfect things.  I don't like to crease the spine or scuff the corners of a book. I don't like a scratched or cracked CD case.  And if I buy a new, shiny, pristine guitar I really, REALLY hate that moment when it gets its first scratch or ding.

When I play an aged, worn guitar (...whether it got that way naturally or artificially... oops, heading towards "R" territory again....) I'm completely freed from that obsessiveness. I'm not afraid to play the thing.  I like the way it looks and perhaps even more so I like the way it feels (unless it has big dents in the back of the neck or shitty knackered frets).

Recently I'm finding myself becoming increasingly "anti" poly-finished guitars.  I don't really believe all that stuff about nitro-finished guitars sounding better, but nitro feels so much better and the way it ages is infinitely more pleasing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I don't like finished necks, otherwise I like everything else mint & lashings of lacquer.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    I much prefer worn to a shiny finish that's always covered in fingerprints.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Guitars should show wear. I like the story it can tell. They are made to be played so I don't like the idea of keeping them locked away!

As for buying new, I like new and relic as I'll take each guitar on its own merits. Playability and sound are most important for me.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    If only reliced cars became fashionable. I've put natural wear into many cars in my time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    None of my guitars show that kind of wear.. my takamine is from 1996 and apart from 1 scratch, a small amount of fretboard wear and a chip on the headstock it looks fairly new. Counted up and it's done 564 gigs in that time, so it's not like it doesn't get used.

I just don't understand how people get so much wear on a guitar!! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    I like all my personal possessions as pristine as possible.

Sure, all of my guitars have got a few little dinks and dings in them but I wouldn't be interested in buying a relic type instrument at all.

•  

None of my guitars show that kind of wear.. my takamine is from 1996 and apart from 1 scratch, a small amount of fretboard wear and a chip on the headstock it looks fairly new. Counted up and it's done 564 gigs in that time, so it's not like it doesn't get used.

Mine up there is 95 gigs in. I play with much vigour, single note lines with plenty of attack. I beat the guitar like it owes me money! I go through three plectrums in an hour set. I could change my technique but the music and the performance are more important than the tools used to create it IMO.

When I'm not playing it I baby my guitar; it gets all the TLC and kept clean. There are no dings on it other than what I have done to the top!

If you choose to define a guitar as a wearing part, then that is what it is. It's a tool, not an heirloom.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    Wear and tear happens.  As a player you accept it.  I can't see the point in artificial relicing, it's like buying jeans with slashed knees
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I like wear and tear...its a story and a heritage of the guitar...but only if its real wear and tear...i dont like relic'd guitars.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810

Mine up there is 95 gigs in. I play with much vigour, single note lines with plenty of attack. I beat the guitar like it owes me money! I go through three plectrums in an hour set. I could change my technique but the music and the performance are more important than the tools used to create it IMO.

When I'm not playing it I baby my guitar; it gets all the TLC and kept clean. There are no dings on it other than what I have done to the top!

If you choose to define a guitar as a wearing part, then that is what it is. It's a tool, not an heirloom.

you break 3 plectrums per hour..? Do you have a video of you playing? I am intrigued. I don't think I've ever broken a plectrum..