Now, it annoys me when...

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
Whenever I read an interview in a music magazine lately (particularly Classic Rock magazine, mind) and I see the words "we're just a good old time rock band" or, as I read today "a meat and potatoes rock n roll band"

I instantly cringe. 

Y'know why? Because most of the time it's so far from the truth. 

I can't be the only person here who finds this annoying. It's pretentious. 

Let's see, this is the Classic Rock mag with RUSH on the cover. The recent one... Somewhere in the back half of the magazine, that quote, is from Black Stone Cherry. 

So let's get one thing clear before I proceed - I LIKE Black Stone Cherry's music. They're a good band. They sure as hell can play. However, for them to say that NOW, I'd say is no longer true. 

I'm not saying that bands who become successful lose the right to say that kind of thing. If you listen to their past two albums, they're not stripped back at all! They claim to NOT be a "radio rock" band. Then what the fuck is "Me & Mary Jane" off their Magic Mountain album?? And the really weird songs on the album before that, like "Let Me See You Shake" and the country-esque ballads, etc? 

I mean, if Nickelback came out and said they were a good-time rock'n'roll band, would you buy that anymore? Hell no you wouldn't! The first two or 3 albums, yes. Then everything after The Long Road, hell no.

It just irritates me. Black Stone Cherry can do so much more than that, they don't need the washy, polished production and overly radio-friendly singles to get somewhere because they made such a statement with their first album, WITHOUT that... and they seemed genuine, and hard-working and now they just seem a bit 'sold out' and pretentious.

It happens to the best of 'em... :(
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    I don't have strong opinions on the subject, but I did really like the first Black Stone Cherry album.  The second was a big disappointment - because it was indeed more polished, and lightweight - and I haven't bought the subsequent stuff.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Shepherd's Pie is my favourite a meat and potatoes rock n roll band

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't have strong opinions on the subject, but I did really like the first Black Stone Cherry album.  The second was a big disappointment - because it was indeed more polished, and lightweight - and I haven't bought the subsequent stuff.

I disagree about the 2nd album. I'd say they did very well with it. And then they faced a very sudden drop. Probably a very painful landing, with the 3rd album. Though the 'free download' version of the first single had so much promise and then it came out a very polished, over-produced record. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    I'm glad I didn't get the third then! :D
    The fourth is a return to form.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    BSC always sounded to me like nickel back in cowboy boots.
    Reverend said:
    BSC always sounded to me like nickel back in cowboy boots.
    My brother said something similar. "Black Stone Nickel" he calls them. Well, OK. I mean. I get it. But I do sorta have to disagree. But as they say, "each to their own" ;) 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    frankus;751524" said:
    I saw them at the Wiltshire Sheep Farming, Agricultural Equipment and Music Festival.

Also on the bill were

Meat and Two Veg,
    Dirk Spuds,
    The Fruit Pickers,
    The Gang Masters, and
    Tory Safeseat.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Skarloey said:
    frankus;751524" said:
    I saw them at the Wiltshire Sheep Farming, Agricultural Equipment and Music Festival.

Also on the bill were

Meat and Two Veg,
    Dirk Spuds,
    The Fruit Pickers,
    The Gang Masters, and
    Tory Safeseat.
    Did GOML! * cancel, then?

* aka 'Get Orf My Laaaaand!'