The Word

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
Anyone else have fond memories of this post pub C4 'classic'? 
Forget the presenters and the puerile features, looking back at YouTube - there was some very memorable musical performances... Sepultura being brilliant.... L7 being 'naughty'.... Oasis first TV performance... Neds Atomic Dustbin... Living Colour.... Therapy? being crap but entertaining.... Nirvana .

There are The Word DVD's out there but I'm surprised they've never released a 'music only' DVD... Especially as the YouTube stuff is such poor quality.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited August 2015
    I remember PIL being on a couple of times.

Dwight Yoakham of all people being very good.

Living Colour.

Yes I remember Nirvana but not as good as they were on TOTP when Cobain deliberately did Teen Spirit in an funny voice.

Do you remember Warrant? They did Cherry Pie on the Word which was memorable not for the song but for the audience flinging slices of cherry pie at the band.

I recall far too much of this shit. I obviously wasn't pissed or stoned quite enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    New Kingdom were the best live act I remember, along side COC.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Snoop Dogg putting Rod Hull on the floor is my favourite moment!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Reverend said:
    New Kingdom were the best live act I remember, along side COC.

Good shout with COC - I hadn't realised they were on....
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    this is why the word worked, and other shows, such as TFI - quality live music (I'm not talking about the quality of the bands) but a real live music set, playing real live music, there is really only Later with Jools that does this now.
    Once upon a time there was The Tube, Old Grey Whistle Test, Rock Goes To College, Oxford Road Show, ECT and more.
    Now we have Jools and his safe selections.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Jools Holland's show is a completely different kind of thing, all the established artists on it are revered old MOR bores and all the new acts have to be desperately hip-and-cool.  Plus you have those horribly smug little interview bits with people like Jeremy Vine sitting at the edge of the studio audience saying how much they love World Music.

The Word was every bit as bad as it was good, but the music side of it was always worth a watch.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Word.

Yeah it was a good show. TV generally is pretty shite these days in comparison to the 90's.

I rarely watch the box at the moment.

Terrestrial TV needs a proper music broadcast - Jools doesn't really do it for me anymore - although he still breaks the odd new act.

The Whiteroom was decent as well back in the day.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I remember a white room from New Years eve many years ago that had Oasis and the smashing pumpkins on. Great show. There's some decent live music shoes on the BBC iplayer from the likes of Guy Garvey and Marc Reily these days.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Funnily enough I just remembered World of Twist being on the Word.

Rather an interesting group who never really broke through, with an intriguing frontman.
  • Skarloey;754062" said:
    Funnily enough I just remembered World of Twist being on the Word.

Rather an interesting group who never really broke through, with an intriguing frontman.
    Great band. The frontman, Tony Ogden died about 10 years back.