Logo Design

What's Hot
Just how tricky is it to think of a logo. I was wanting one for youtube intros, thumbnails etc. 

At first I thought about guitar necks, doing my name in strings etc - but it's too complicated and everybody does it. 

Think about the best simple ones, e.g. the golden arches for McDonalds etc - easily recognisable if flipped any which way, simple and good colour contrast. Or the bat symbol - amazing! 

Anybody ever designed a logo or had one done for them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    It's a fascinating field of design imo. There must be hundreds of articles and things on the web to inspire you - I'm sure I saw one on facebook recently called something like "hidden meanings in logos".

Just be a simple as possible imo. And clever. Simple and clever. Like me :)
    All practice and no theory
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

everyone thinks they can do it, professionals can do it.

If your serious about your releases, as in other posts you are, talk to professionals about a brand/theme - rather than a logo, something that translates to web, all web services, rather than a facebook banner, and something that translates well  to physical use too, eg: CD covers, posters, flyer, letter head, etc etc.

I use some good design agencies which have done some good work, but you have to pay - it's a profession, not someone at home with photoshop, there is more to it than drawing, understanding the differences in the media you use and how to present and use it.

I've also had some stunning work from working with my local universities, design students welcome real world experience rather than theoretical projects and will work for a reduced rate to gain experience, or for sponsorship towards their final year project, treat them fairly though, student means learning the skill/trade not "free/cheap labour" some of the work I've had out of involving students has been top notch, and I know one of the projects I gave them was used as a final year project and was a big part in them getting a job.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    dafuzz said:
    It's a fascinating field of design imo. There must be hundreds of articles and things on the web to inspire you - I'm sure I saw one on facebook recently called something like "hidden meanings in logos".

Just be a simple as possible imo. And clever. Simple and clever. Like me :)

You can't be simple and clever at the same time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    edited August 2015
    My pet hate with logos are ones that are too obvious, I.e if it's guitar related it depicts a guitar related item such as a cable etc.

Other than that, clean and crisp is the nature of the day IMO. Other than logos that are truly hedious (see carpet right), most logos are inoffensive and become iconic because of the product, not the other way around. The Marshall logo for exame is nothing special, but it is iconic.

Unless you are a serious cash generating business /organisation, paying for a logo ludicrous IMO, the end product is much more important.

Now name, that's another subject.
  • I was just thinking of getting one done on fiverr (, for five dollars) to be honest
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    There are quite a few sites like 99designs where you can crowd source one for a few quid.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7779
    edited August 2015
    You could ask Peavey for their design team's number
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    I was just thinking of getting one done on fiverr (, for five dollars) to be honest
    I can do you one for a tenner - it'll be twice as good.  I have Microsoft Paint and everything.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7804
    I drew my logo in pencil on a piece of paper, at a kid's play park in Exmouth, while my daughters played.

I scanned it into the computer and then turned it into a black and white image in a very old copy of Paint Shop Pro.

Because of the imprecise start to my design process the right hand leg of the A is higher than the lowest point on the left, but having realised this I decided I'd rather leave it like that than change it :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    There's a reason that people go to uni to study graphic design ;)

There's loads of cheapo sites that tender for design work. However, you will get a cheapo logo tbf. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited September 2015
    OK I got my "logo" (less of a simple symbol but I like it) - like it or loathe it, that's it done. 
    Putting my website address at the bottom of it on my YouTube vids.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    You could ask Peavey for their design team's number
    Hartley Peavey designed it (the spiky one) himself when he was at high school.

I have to say, that while it is instantly recognisable, I prefer his electronics designs to his graphic ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I did this one for a covers band I play in. Used AutoCAD at work for the border thingy based on an old cassette players auto reverse function. http://s23.postimg.org/jawwsociz/image.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I have designed quite a few logos over the years. The thing to remember about a logo is that some people will love it, some people will hate it, and most just don't give a toss about it at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I also tried to do a YouTube intro but don't really have the software. Now I have my logo, might either go onto fiverr and get somebody to do me an intro using my logo.... or film my own short one and fade the logo in at the end.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like the A one. Wes V's is also a cracker. I reckon it's pretty difficult to come up with a really good logo..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    I like the A one. Wes V's is also a cracker. I reckon it's pretty difficult to come up with a really good logo..
    What are these ones...??
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    Hello :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    I am glad someone likes it. Hard to do a WV logo without it looking like a VW logo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/59/Paul_C, and of course, the excellent one above.. :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.