Little things that resurrect a guitar from a dusty corner...a mundane tale of a well-spent Sunday

What's Hot
So, I have a 50th Anniversary Strat Plus which I allowed to get a bit beat up.  I hated the look of its bog-standard black paintwork, so got somebody to do a custom paint job (which is actually just straight onto the lacquer but has lasted fine).  Great way to completely ensure a guitar is pretty much unsellable :)

Anyway, because the neck was bumped and the lacquer on the fretboard in a state, I've hardly touched it for years.  Today, I finally decided to do something about it.  So, off came the strings and then a Stanley knife to the fretboard made relatively light work of the lacquer.  I then lightly sanded the back of the neck which not only made it much smoother and to my tastes, it also reduced the few dints a little.  I then used some Gerlitz Guitar Honey on the front and back of the neck, which soaked right in.  It's not the cleanest job ever but I'm happy.

It now feels great and I remember how much I like the gold Lace Sensor pickups.

Has anybody else found that just a little bit of work can bring a guitar back to life nicely?

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Like the graphics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Sassafras said:
    Like the graphics.
    Me too
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72653
    Me three.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Fourthed.

I like the gold lace sensors too. 
    :)
  • Fourthed.

I like the gold lace sensors too. 
    :)
    They're noisier than I recalled.  But that might be the wiring.  One tone knob won't clip on properly anymore (either one on that pot - not sure what's happened there and the middle one is crackly).  I suspect it would benefit from a bit of re-wiring.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Wowzers!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Would look good with a black guard
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    That's really cool
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.